Chapter 40 ll "Yes, I just did."

Zoey's POV

Emma is like a bubble full of happiness. She's adorable.

Like her brother.

Chris is away to run some god knows what errands that he refuses to tell me about. And since Emma is supposed to stay over at his for a week or so, I'm left alone with Emma in this house.

Evelyn will be coming over soon to accompany me, and to entertain Emma on my behalf, while I complete my homework.

I stand, leaning against the refrigerator, in deep thoughts, wondering why on earth do I have an unsettling feeling in my stomach.
But that thought flew out of the window and into the next continent, when Emma comes sprinting at full speed, towards me.

Before I have any time to sort of create some defence for myself, she comes crashing into me, knocking out the air in my system. I catch her and land on the floor with an 'oomph'.

She giggles shyly and sits up on top of me while I groan at the slight pain in my body.
"That's fun."

"Sure."

"Let's do it again!"

I murmur a 'please no' under my breath as I stand up with Emma. She runs off into a distance while I begin to formulate a plan in my head.

Emma takes off, faster than before. She nears me, but before she can even crash into me again, I grab her up with both hands and swing her in the air. Good job, Zoey.

"Oooooh that's fun."

"Of course."

"Let's do it again."

There's a loud knock on the door before I can reply, and I almost sigh in relief.

I set Emma down on the ground as I open the door, revealing Evelyn - and Levi.

"Hi Evelyn and . . . Levi?"

"Hi Zoey, don't mind him, he's on his period and needs someone beside him. I can't leave him alone in the house."

"Oh, it's that time of the month?" I frown and look at Levi, who looks beyond annoyed.

"Fuck off."

He storms past me and Evelyn, into the house, and only halts into a stop when he sees Emma sitting on the couch, innocently watching Totally Spies.

Turning to glare at me and Evelyn, he whisper-yells, "Why didn't you tell me Emma is here?"

The both of us don't reply, so he turns his attention back on Emma.

Emma, who is totally oblivious to what's going on, sighs dreamily, "I love Clover."

"But I like Alex better."

Emma looks up and squeals excitedly.

"Yay Levi!"

"Yo Emma!"

Emma jumps into Levi's awaiting arms like couples in romance movie. He spins her around as she giggles.

I raise an eyebrow at the sight, but all Evelyn does, is roll her eyes and stride into the house.

"So you're not on your period anymore."

Levi rolls his eyes again. He puts a palm over Emma's eyes and flips a finger at Evelyn.

I close the door and plop myself onto the floor with Levi and Evelyn. Emma snuggles comfortably into Levi's arms, her eyes fixated on the television.

My phone rings and a picture of me and Chris appears on the screen. He's scowling with messy hair and tired eyes behind me since I woke him up in the middle of the night just to annoy him. I had my tongue out, grinning at the screen, partly because it's fun to annoy him, partly because he's adorable when he's annoyed.