TWO

I danced along to the music playing through my AirPods. I picked up my paintbrush and added a small stroke before stepping back. I twirled around to see an angry Tobias staring at me.

"Are you cooking grits?" He asked while placing the burnt pot of grits in the trash.

"I'm so sorry. I forgot about them." I placed down my utensils.

"You know, breakfast is prepared at seven in the morning. Maybe you should get up early so you don't miss it." He huffed.

He grabbed his briefcase.

"Or if you do cook, try not to get distracted."

"I was painting."

"Which you got all over my floor." He exclaimed. "You didn't think to put a mat down?"

"It scrapes off."

"You can't scrape off the paint on my floors. They were way too expensive."

"I'm sorry. Mr. Grumps. If they were so expensive, they wouldn't scratch." I frowned. "Here I'll clean up right now."

"I have people for that." His watch beeped. Tobias sighed. "We have to take engagement photos to release today, so be prepared for a million people in the house."

"I'm always prepared. I'm gonna rock these photos. You know, the tabloids say that I can model." I quickly struck a pose.

He remained silent before grabbing his jacket off the rack.

"Try not to mess up anything else, okay?" He asked before walking out of the door.

Tobias gave me the same cold vibes that my dad did. I honestly hated it. I escaped a miserable prison just to end up in another.

Within three hours, I was done with my painting. I had nothing else to do but binge-watch Netflix shows.

I need a job. Which was random to say off the dome, but maybe I was so miserable because I did nothing but stare at the same four walls.

Buzz! My phone went off and I quickly picked it up.

"Hey daddy"

"Hi Athena, just checking to see how everything is. I expect you to bring Tobias lunch to work." He sounded busy. I heard the chatter in the background.

"Um, lunch?"

"Yeah, did you read to contract? You're expected to bring him lunch."

"Right. Lunch. I'm preparing it now, daddy. Also, I have a question." I started while frantically cleaning up my work.

"Yes, Athena?" He sighed, clearly agitated that this conversation was going on for more than a minute.

"I want to work."

"Great! I have a position open at one of my branches."

"Not for you. Remember when I took an interest in fashion design? I want to open a boutique." I shut my eyes waiting for his response.

"That's great Athena. I'll gather a team for you. Remember that luxury designer brand I bought, they need a CEO. You can be that in the meantime."

"Really?" I smiled.

"Yes. I have to get back to work." He hung up the phone.

I bounced around smiling. Then I realized the time.

11:00 am

Shit! I looked at my phone for the schedule. His lunch started at twelve. I hurried to the kitchen and opened the fridge. It wasn't much but a bunch of fruit.