0

dedicated to NanaZSBrignoni for being this book's first fan

┌──────────┐

PROLOGUE

└──────────┘

ONCE UPON A TIME, the first of the Maurauder's children was born. She was born out of a mistake, a night filled with liquor after a horrible fight between two lovers.

But even though Sirius would forever regret the pain he had brought on his lover, he did not regret the little Adhara Black.

Remus, although hurt by Sirius's betrayal, loved the little girl like she was her own. Both of them hovered over the girl like two fools who had just learned what love really was. As each of them held that sweet child in his arms, they all shared the feeling that they would die to protect the small girl who held onto their fingers with impressive strength.

For one year, Adhara lived in the small apartment Sirius shared with Remus surrounded by love and all things magical. Lily and James would shower her with gifts, as she was the first Mauraurder's baby.  Even Peter would play with the girl, allowing her to grab his protruding ears with her chubby little fingers.

But their happiness was short-lived. To be born a Black in England in that year was practically a death sentence.

Not long after Adhara was born, the threats began. One night, Sirius got a note from his brother, warning him that the Death Eaters were coming for his family. The Order of the Phoenix fought with all their might while Lily got the baby to safety. When James found his wife after the battle, he told her that Imogen, Adhara's mom, had died.

As the Order reassembled, they learned that there was a prophecy. And even though Adhara was too old to be the child of such prophecy, the Mauraders had a nagging feeling that the Dark Lord wouldn't take his chances. He wasn't beneath killing children, they all knew that much.

Each of the parents decided what was best for each child. The Longbottoms sent Neville to live with his godmother until the war ended. The Potters hid under a Fidelius charm. And then, there was the matter of Adhara. The attack from the night before had made it clear that she was marked for death. On her mother's side, there was only a brother in South America, and Sirius had no relatives he could trust. So when Moony remembered that he had a friend living on the other side of the Atlantic who owed him a favor, Sirius was forced to accept his fate.

Not being able to think of any other alternatives, they changed Adhara's name. Deciding that Black was common enough not to raise suspicions, Adhara became Lucinda Black.

When Sirius kissed his daughter goodbye, he had no idea it would take thirteen years to see her again.

THAT night, Mason Lockwood opened his front door with a sleepy frown on his face, trying to figure out why the hell somebody would be knocking on his door at four in the bloody morning.

To his surprise, he only found a sleeping baby in a basket, holding tightly a stuffed wolf.

His eyes widened in horror as he grabbed the letter tucked by the child's arm and read it.

Mason,

This is Lucinda Black. Her father is fighting in the Wizarding World by my side and, she must be kept hidden. Her mother is dead and we have no one who can keep her safe. If her father's family learns of her existence, she will be in great danger. I would not ask this of you if I had any other choice, but I do not. I know this is an immense responsibility, but until the war is over, I'm begging you to take care of her until I can safely come for her.

Yours truly,

Remus Lupin.