Chapter Twenty Four

Hunter ~

Still concealed by the darkness of night, Hunter and the rest of Bravo team slowly made their way through the thick terrain that surrounded the secluded house.

The team they were about to encounter was most likely highly trained mercenaries who knew exactly what to expect in terms of an ambush and had most likely planned ahead to control for those vulnerabilities.

Approaching by boat would have been the easiest and most direct pathway since the small house was located near a dock, but their enemies would have seen an approaching vessel from a mile away. They had no choice but to be dropped inland and hike toward the East side of the house so they could get a better vantage point and gather some intel.

Hunter walked slightly ahead of Bravo team as they fanned out on either side of him with painted faces and readied weapons. Their movements were slow and controlled as they weaved through the trees, scanning and searching the area for any hint of movement.

With nothing but the sound of his own breathing and the muffled grunts and breaths of Bravo team in his ear piece, Hunter clutched his rifle and took in every ounce of his surroundings. He was the perfect balance between animal and machine as his eyes swept every inch of the terrain in front of him, relaying everything he saw to the most tactical part of his mind. Hunter was cold and emotionless in that moment - he was in complete control and Bravo team followed his every command.

The silence was thick and Hunter could practically hear his teammates thoughts as they took careful, calculated steps as a unit.

Bringing his eyes to the ground, something sparkled against the light of the moon for a split second, stealing every ounce of Hunter's attention.

The fuck is that?

His mind processed the low placement and followed it to the right and left, realizing instantly that it was a wire that was strung across their path.

Reaching out to this right, Hunter clutched the front of Pierce's vest, halting his movement and harshly holding him in place with the thud that forced a grunt out of Pierce. Pierce's next step would have crossed the trip wire and Pierce stared down at his own foot as Hunter held up a hand signal for the rest of the team to freeze.

"Trip wire." Hunter said immediately as he held up the signal, prompting the entire team to stop and crouch in place.

The rest of the team was down on one knee, their faces painted and dark, but Hunter could see them scanning the ground in front of them.

Taking out his tactical knife, Hunter carefully moved some foliage away from the wire and studied it

No rust...No wear and tear...Barely concealed....just set. This is fresh and God knows what else is out here. Fucking bastards.

"Bravo Two you got eyes on this wire?" Hunter asked Marcus using the small microphone dot that was pressed against his throat.

"Negative. None on this side." Marcus said quietly.