Chapter 15

A kiss is lethal. It's a gateway drug to falling in love. Avoid at all costs.

Lisa estimated about less than a hundred attendees, packing the rooftop bar of one of the tallest towers in Seoul. She's been there a couple of times and it wasn't a bad choice: the place was a long, spacious, high-ceilinged lobby bar that has a view of the garden deck that goes around the area. The whole place was surrounded by floor to ceiling windows that are partially covered by beige drapes; the place awash with hues of golden oakwood and greys and complemented by mother-of-pearl bulb pendant low chandeliers.

It was sophisticated and airy, and when she got a little bored of the people she had exchanged business cards with, she allowed herself to get distracted by the hum of the voices that seemed to travel too far into the ceiling and back; distinct voices blending amongst the sound of martini shakers and clinking wine glasses and pops of beers.

Lisa loved mixers. She loved being surrounded by people and possibilities. The mix of Western guests unwinding with the Asian C-Levels; the far too loud laughter of some versus the polite smiles of others; the expensive tailored coats and slim-cut dresses with high heels.

And yet, the whole room paled as her eyes found a slight girl who held her own among the sea of suits and blazers and seemed to dominate the space by simply being there. The woman wore a black tailored tube top paired with a pair of pants that accentuated her figure. It seemed simple and plain, but it dawned on Lisa that nothing was ever simple and plain for Jennie. The all-black ensemble seemed to highlight the fierceness of her face that's adorned by softer evening makeup and her hair tied up in a loose bun.

It was hard to look at anyone else, really. There wasn't even a goddamn competition.

Lisa couldn't help but (s̶t̶a̶l̶k̶) appreciate the woman from afar. Her handshakes seemed firm and strong; her frame rarely slouched if not gracefully tight, as if she was allowing a little casualness to seep in but still often on her guard.

It bore none of the traces of playfulness usually reserved for Lisa, however.

Lisa smirked to herself. She felt smug somehow, knowing fully well that most of the people were drawn to her neighbour yet Lisa's quite possibly the only one in the room who could get under her skin, in more ways than one.

Well, Lisa chided herself. A little entitled, aren't we?

Lisa caught the last bits of her new contact's words as she tried to re-align herself.

"...the project was a success, I heard, so that's great news."

"Yes, Robert mentioned you're planning a similar feat for next year," Lisa confirmed, her eyes catching the Chief Technology Officer's before her gaze flitted just beyond his shoulder to steal a glance at Jennie. The latter's fingers were loose on her champagne glass, her forefinger running thoughtlessly against the moisture. She's mildly engaged in a discussion with a middle-aged caucasian who Lisa recognised to be the Head of Sales for a data firm.

"I'll be honest, Lis, if you can pull off the same magic for me next year, you'll make me a happy man," Perry, the CTO of a trading firm, had a faint smile of relief.