Chapter 46

5 years later

I walked into Professor Darby's second period class, where he lectured politics and persuasion. Striving to become a lawyer seemed intimidating two years ago, in that summer of applying for graduate schools. But the monstrosity of the following events I had done after the boy issue, was cringe worthy-if I ever do-of course-wander freely on that summer. But as a mature woman, I occupy my mind with more thought-consuming information.

I sat down on the aisle, Mac in elbow, and focused my concentration on the preparing Professor in front of the class.

Within minutes, every student filled up empty chairs and the room grew with silence.

"Okay, where did we leave off yesterday?" Professor Darby's voice boomed across the rows of College students.

A student raised his hand nearby, and Professor motioned to him with a sip of Coffee.

"We were discussing quotes near the end." He said confidently, swallowing.

I pulled a fresh document on my computer, and readied to type.

"Ah, yes. I presume most of you to remember the quotes we discussed?" Professor asked.

The door suddenly swung open, but I didn't direct my attention to the visitor. I did this many times on my first year, and have gotten into trouble for paying closer attention to the stranger, than to class discussion. It was lawyer training-train your mind to concentrate on one thing.

I listened to a girl quote something Arose Dodle said, when suddenly, a ringing of a phone split through the air. My stomach dropped, as I hurriedly reached down and scrambled for my phone to shut off.

"Miss Garland, you know how I feel about disruptions!" Professor raised his voice.

"Sorry." I sputtered, finally finding my phone and turning my ringer off. Lavender was calling me-typical. I almost smiled at her bad timing, but the current situation refrained me.

My cheeks burned, as Professor's eyes zeroed in on me. This was also Law training. It teaches you think on your feet, but almost be confident with an answer.

"Can we continue, Miss Garland?" He asked, tapping his foot. I started to reply, when my eyes shifted to a man standing next to Professor Garby.

Something rolled in my stomach, as I tried to fathom who we was. It was Nathaniel, but it didn't look quite like him. He still had that overgrown, shaggy hair, the overly attractive yet handsome face, and those green eyes I used to love about him. But the haircut complimented his many mature features. Black stubble began to grow at his chin, with a jaw line so accented it made me falter.

Nathaniel seemed to recognize my last name, or maybe he had caught a glimpse of me, but I was sure he remembered me. He stared at me, mouth open slightly as if he couldn't come to reality of an older Lindsey sitting in front of him.

"Miss Garland?" Professor asked again impatiently.

"Yes, Proffesor. I'm sorry for the disruption." I replied, taking my eyes off Nathaniel and returning my attention to Professor, who nodded and suddenly seemed to realize Nathaniel's presence.

"Ah, class? This is my substitute for the week; Mr. Sky. I expect you to treat him with respect, as you do me. Mr. Sky is an intern from Washington, where he is practicing Law there as well. This week, we will be doing something special with the second years. In this class, I will be holding pretend court sessions. Mr. Sky here, will be the interrogator and I will be the Judge." Professor Garby explained with motions of his hands, than checked his watch. "And I think it's time already."