Gally Imagine (Request!)

Warning: Death of a sibling, fluff
Word Count: 1421 Words
Requested by: lockheartsfanfics
Quick A/N: Hello all! Hope your having a wonderful day. I apologize to lockheartsfanfics for this taking so long, but I truly hope you enjoy! - Nov 10, 2022

• • • • •

"Help!" I hear a boy yell and look up from where I stood by Gally. "Help!" It's the Greenie, Thomas, running for his life out of the Deadheads. I could only make out a moving object from behind him. Gally and I glanced at each other before following the other Gladers and ran to the scene.

Gally had been the first one I'd met, and he was the one to show me around. He insisted on it. He also insisted on building a room near the Homestead for privacy. He and I grew close relatively quickly. While I worked in the kitchen with Frypan, Gally would be constructing new things always in my line of vision. He and I became best friends, but frankly I've felt more than friendship towards him. There was just something about him that made him different than all the others, either his strong arms or adorable smile, maybe it was his leadership.

As we reached the gathering, I could make out a familiar scrawny boy in a tan tank top crawling over Thomas, and my heart sank: It was my brother. When had he been stung? Newt, the Second in Command, grabbed a shovel and forcefully hit Ben in the head to protect Thomas. I yelped and Gally, along with some of the other stronger boys, held down the attacker whilst Alby approached.

"Calm down, Ben." Gally quietly spoke as my brother struggled beneath him.

"He tried to kill me! He kept saying-" Thomas sputtered from the ground where he sat.

"He wouldn't kill you, Shank," I spat with a slight glare before turning back to Ben. "This isn't like him. Something's wrong."

"Lift his shirt," It was the Leader that commanded. The boys obeyed to expose a nasty looking, black and red wound from one of the Grievers. Ben began to cry, and I choked back tears. Alby sighed and mumbled something under his breath that I couldn't hear before turning to the boys. "Get him to the Slammer," My eyes were glued to my brother who was being dragged away, and I didn't notice Alby talking to me until he stood in front of me and the others already left. "Kate," He sighed. "Do you-"

"He was fine this morning," I thought back, trying my best to not cry in front of him. "I met him by the Doors and he was his usual self and-" Alby nodded, looking down, taking in a deep breath with his eyes closed. "Please don't banish him," I pleaded. The thought of seeing Ben against his will be locked in the Maze at night was haunting. "There has to be a way we can save him."

The Leader couldn't meet my eyes. He stood tall, looking around with yet another heavy-hearted sigh. "You know we can't do that," He muttered, finally his dark eyes meeting my brown ones. "He's too dangerous."

I swallowed down a sob. "Then I don't want to be there for it," My words were fragile. "I don't want to watch everyone turn on him because he's injured. I can't watch my brother die."

Alby nodded. "I understand," He nodded towards where the boys had taken him. "Why don't you talk to him until then? I'm sure he'd appreciate the company, especially from his sister." I nodded and walked off.

I don't think I've ever seen Ben look so broken before, or at least not before we arrived in the Glade. He and I had been here for about two years, showing up in the Box together. We were confused, just as the rest of the boys were: Why was I the only girl? Why was I sent up with my brother? What did we do to deserve being sent to this prison, this Hell?

I took a seat in front of the Slammer door. He had gone quiet, his eyes red and puffy against his pale skin. He didn't look at me, turning away so he didn't have to meet my eyes. "Why didn't you tell me?" I asked, slicing through the silence. "I could've done something to help."

"I was going to," He mumbled. "Then I caught sight of the Greenie and something in me snapped," They were quiet. "I know I'm going to be banished." His words were solemn.

"I tried to talk to Alby but-" I was cut off very quickly, his expression to anger in a second.

"I don't need you to try and save me," He grumbled. "Besides, did you really think he would've changed his mind? God forbid I killed the Greenie," His breathing became rapid, and he moved over to the woven door. "Do you know what he's done, Kate?" His hands clenched on the wood, his brown eyes filled with insanity. I gulped, trying to pull away. "Do you know what he's done?" He was shouting now. "I saw him! I saw him!"

Before I could try to calm him down, try to find reason within his shouts, two of the boys came rushing over and pulled me away. They wouldn't let me see him later, and by the time Ben had calmed down, it was already time for him to be banished. I waited in my room. Was I terrible for not joining the others? For not staying with Ben in his final moments? Minutes felt like hours, and in the distance I could hear Ben screaming, pleading for his life, sputtering apology after apology, and finally, I broke. I'd never get to say goodbye.

As tears puddled down my face, leaving salty trails down my cheeks, I curled up in my bed, covering my ears with my hands. I didn't want to hear him in pain, I didn't want to hear his cries, his yelps for everyone to change their minds. But my hands weren't good insulators and I could still hear every word like I was there. I could hear the scraping of the Doors, their loud groans and creaks sounding throughout the Glade, and a moment later, silence.

It was silent for a good long while until there was a calm knock on my door. I had moved to an upright position, my back against the headboard as I fumbled with my lip. I didn't answer, even after the person had knocked thrice. There was a sigh and I thought they would leave, but instead they came in.

"Kate?" I'd recognize that voice anywhere. I didn't respond. "I brought you dinner," He spoke. He placed the plate on the table across the room and took a seat at my feet on the bed. I couldn't meet his eyes. "I'm sorry." He whispered, and I could tell his gaze was on me, blue eyes scanning my face. He didn't have to say anything else for me to resume crying. Embarrassed, I covered my face in my hands. He pulled me to him, wrapping his strong arms gently around me, rubbing my back as I sobbed.

"I never said goodbye," My voice cracked as I cried, my tears undoubtedly staining his brown shirt. He moved one of his hands to play with my wavy hair, to try and comfort. "I never told him I loved him, I never tried to help him. I let him suffer."

"This isn't your fault," His voice was brittle, quiet. "There was nothing you could do."

"I miss him." The words trembled.

He sighed. "Me too," We sat in silence, his arms still around me. I was out of tears, exhausted, longing for sleep but knowing I wouldn't get any. I think Gally could tell. "Do you want me to go?" His voice quiet. I could hear the hum from his chest.

"No," I mumbled. "I like you being here."

He chuckled to himself, the rumble in his chest like comforting thunder. "I like being here, too," His back was against the headboard now, myself cradled in his arms, head resting on his chest. I could hear his heartbeat slowly rise in his chest and he spoke. "Kate?" I hummed as a response, my eyes closed. "I know this is poor timing, but I think I'm in love with you."

The words left my mouth before I could think. "I'm in love with you, too, Gally."