𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚

CHAPTER THREE
"There's no point in struggling"

Jane walks back into Zone 5 where Jenner is seen taking care of the blood samples

Jane walks back into Zone 5 where Jenner is seen taking care of the blood samples. Jane pulls up a chair and sits next to him looking at the samples he's done already. "They look fine, see?" Jane questions as Jenner is focused and ignoring Jane.

"This wasn't a bad idea. They seem like great people and Rick is very respectful" Jane goes on and on when Jenner turns his chair over to Jane. "You made the wrong call Dr. I don't know why you trying to defend them" Jenner states and Jane furrows her eyebrows.

"There's nothing wrong with them—" Jane starts saying when Jenner scoffs. "Your just a child. You don't know any better" Jenner says turning his chair back forward to the blood samples. Jane looks to Jenner in disbelief that he would say that to her after all he's done for her not to seem like a child. Jane slowly stands up from her seat and walks out of the room leaving Jenner to his work like she has been for the last 60 something days they've been here.

The next morning Jane is seen in the cafeteria looking through a bunch of a paper work when she hears the door open in the distance. Jane turns her head and sees T-Dog walk through the door and make his way over to Jane. "Oh, hey" Jane greets and T-Dog nods her way.

"I was wondering if you guys had any eggs? It's just this is like our first real.. home and I want to make everyone breakfast" T-Dog states and Jane smiles nodding her head. "Yeah, Yeah of course they kitchen is right back there. It's fully stocked with lots of things, I'm sure you'll find eggs pretty quickly and—uh I'll start cleaning up this mess" Jane says referring to the dishes she forgot to clean up last night.

"Thank you" T-Dog says shaking Janes hand as he goes to the kitchen and Jane begins washing the dishes. Once everything was ready Rick shuffles in to the cafeteria. He, as well as most others, is hung over. T-Dog proudly dishes out powdered eggs for everyone, and Glenn groans in agony with his head down. Lori hands Rick some aspirin which she says came from Dr. Jenner.

"And here's some for you" T-Dog says handing Jane a plate of eggs. Jane takes the plate and nods to T-Dog. "Thank you" Jane mumbles as T-Dog winks at her jokingly and Jane shakes her head as she picks at her eggs and stuffs her mouth. Shane enters the room and heads straight for the coffee, T-Dog asks about the scratches on Shane's neck. He shrugs it off, claiming he must have scratched his neck in his sleep. "Never seen you do that before," Rick says. "Not like me at all," Shane agrees while eyeing Lori, who keeps her head down and continues to eat.

Jane looks between Lori and Shane and notices the way they look at each other. Jane furrows her eyebrows as she chews on her food but realizes it's none of her business and looks back down at her plate of eggs.

When Jenner arrives in the kitchen, Dale starts asking questions. Andrea concurs, saying, "We didn't come here for the eggs." Jenner leads the group in to the control center. He tells Vi to display the brain scans from the episode's namesake "Test Subject 19." The top-secret brain-scan video shows someone who was infected and allowed the process of reanimation to be recorded by the CDC. Jane notices a large clock on the wall counting down which she has never noticed before in her whole time being here but she ignores it and stands next to Jenner who begins showing the video.

Synapses are shown throughout the brain. "Experience, memories. Somewhere in all that organic wiring is you. The thing that makes you unique and human," Jenner explains to the group. The display shows the virus attacking the brain - the 'first event.' The brain goes dark; the body dies. "Everything you were or ever will be - gone," Jenner says.

"Is that what happened to Jim?" Sophia wonders innocently, and Carol nods. Jane sighs and looks down as two children just heard what Jenner said about death. Andrea looks beaten, and Lori explains to Jane that Andrea's sister died two days before. Jenner approaches Andrea. "I lost somebody, too. I know how devastating it is," he says.

Jenner fast-forwards to the "second event" — TS-19's resurrection. "It restarts the brain?" Lori asks. "Just the brain-stem," Jenner corrects. "The human part - the you part - that doesn't come back." Jane answers as she clears her throat pointing to the display shown.

A bullet flies through TS-19's head in the video playback. "We don't know what the disease is or how to treat it. We have lost contact with other research facilities and have been in the dark for almost a month," Jane admits to the group. "There's nothing left anywhere. That's what you're really saying, right?" Andrea accuses her.

"I- I- No, I'm saying-" Jane stutters until Dale, one of the older man who reminds Jane of his grandpa interrupts. "What's that clock on the wall counting down. It's been doing that for an hour" Dale says and Jane turns around looking at the clock but she can't answer his question as she has no clue what it is either. She only knew so much about the CDC.

Jenner looks at Jane and Jane looks back at him in confusion. Jenner clears his throat and looks to Dale "The basement generators, they run out of fuel." Jenner answers hesitantly and Jane furrows her eyebrows.

Rick, Shane, T-Dog, and Glenn head to inspect the generators. While they're in the basement, the building's emergency lighting switches on, bathing the four in darkness. Upstairs in Janes room the buildings air cuts off and she walks out of her room in confusion meeting back in the control center with no one there. Jane looks around and notices nobody is around and thinks she would ask Vi what that clock is for until Rick, Shane, Glenn, and T-Dog return from the basement, and Jenner also comes back.

"The system is designed to keep the computers running until the last possible second. It was the French," Jenner says. "They stuck it out as long as they could before they too ran out of power," he finishes.

Jane continues to look at Jenner in confusion. "Jenner, What is the clock for? I'm only asking once" Jane asks and Jenner looks over to Jane as he swallows a lump in his throat. "In thirty minutes, the building would decontaminate, it is too late to stop it since there is no fuel" Jenner says and Jane widens her eyes as she feels her breathing becoming uneven. Rick pulls out his revolver and points it at Jane. Jane lifts her hands up as Rick steps towards her.

"Did you know about this! Huh!" Rick shouts and Glenn yells at Rick to put the gun down as Jane shakes her head quickly with tears rushing down her face. "I-I didn't I swear" Jane says and Rick bites his lip and puts his gun away as he yells at the group to grab their things and run as the emergency alarms start blaring. Before they are able to, Jenner locks them inside the control center.

"Jenner! Jenner!" Jane shouts as the group stops in shock. "There's no point in struggling", Jenner explains as he looks to the group in slight happiness.

TO BE CONTINUED

WORD COUNT: 1294

WORD COUNT: 1294