Chapter 4

Sunfern watched as Poppyleaf mixed together sorrel, daisy, chamomile, and burnet, adding heather flower to make the mix sweeter for the apprentices. She dropped a leaf full of the herbs at Sunferns paws before walking out to take some to the others. Sunfern ate the herbs, gagging at the taste. Featherpool was murmuring softly in the den over, and Sunfern went to check on her. As he walked into the den, the powerful smell of sickness overtook him.

"F-featherpool?" Sunfern whispered, getting more worried by the second. The Moonclan leader looked up.

"Where's Goldensky? Is she alright? How are her kits?" Featherpool whispered back, her voice hoarse and her eyes milky. Her fur was matted and she was very thin.

"Have you eaten yet Featherpool? You need to keep your strength up. You need to survive until we get back with catmint. Please Featherpool! Goldensky couldn't live without you!" Sunfern pleaded, knowing the two she-cats had been friends since they were kits.

"Goldensky has you Sunfern...and if I die then I'll meet her in Starclan." Featherpool meowed roughly. She stared at Sunfern, and Sunfern stood there awkwardly until he heard his name being called. As he walked out of the den, Frostpaw trotted up to him, looking angry.

"What were you doing!? Featherpool is sick, and every minute counts! Mouse-brain!" Frostpaw hissed at him, puffing out his chest and glaring at Sunfern as if he was a kit. Sunfern flicked his tail at the frost-coloured apprentice and padded over to Moonfall, Scarfeather, and Springpaw, who was jumping around excitedly. Springpaw froze when she saw Frostpaw.

"He's coming with us!? No way!" Springpaw exclaimed. Frostpaw glared at her, and bowled her over, playfighting. Scarfeather sprang up angrily.

"Frostpaw! First you order around your deputy and then you attack another clanmate!?" Scarfeather scolded furiously. Frostpaw paused and glared at Scarfeather.

"Scarfeather relax! Frostpaw and Springpaw were just playing! And Springpaw was rude to Frostpaw." Moonfall meowed. "And calm down." She added, seeing Scarfeather unsheath his claws. Scarfeather sheathed his claws, sighed, and turned around.

"Those herbs taste really terrible, huh?" Sunfern meowed, trying to end the awkwardness. Scarfeather grunted in response and flicked his tail at the apprentices. They bounded out of the camp, only stopping to look back at the warriors. Sunfern could just make out what they were saying.

"Do you think that they will make us warriors after this mission!?" Springpaw was mewing excitedly.

"I dunno...how long have you been an apprentice?" Frostpaw rasped, seeming to be slightly annoyed.

"Mouse-brain! We were made apprentices just after each other. I've been an apprentice for four moons. And you are almost at four, right?" Springpaw meowed. "Ooh! I wonder what my warrior name will be. Springtail? No. Spring-" Frostpaw cut her off.

"Please put a mouse in it. And by the way, my warrior name will be Frostslip." Frostpaw announced proudly. Sunfern and the others raced to catch up with them. Now he could hear the apprentices conversation clearly. Moonfall and Scarfeather were talking, but Sunfern ignored them.

"Hey! You can't choose your warrior name! And plus, Frostslip is a terrible name." Springpaw meowed loudly. Sunfern put his tail between the two apprentices.

"Calm down. Let's go past the Gathering Hollow and try to cross the river. Then we might be able to find some catmint." The words were just out of his mouth when he realized that crossing the river was impossible, unless there was a bridge. Moonfall realized this too.