Chapter 5

Goldensky paced endlessly in her den. Featherpool was getting worse by the day, her pelt thin and ragged. Darkstorm padded in and dropped a mouse at her paws. "Eat. You need your strength for when the kits come." He told her. Goldensky nodded, laying down and eating the mouse. Her stomach had grown in size as the kits drew nearer to being born. Darkstorm had been checking on her to make sure she didn't stop taking care of herself.

"Thank you, Darkstorm." She meowed warmly. After a minute of thinking she asked the large gray tabby a question. "Do you think making Treepelt the temporary deputy was the right decision?" She was worried. Darkstorm hesitated.

"Well...I have seen her on the Sunclan border a lot, but that is probably nothing." Darkstorm thought aloud, head tilting. "Besides, she is almost as good of a deputy as Sunfern. She does sleep in, and gives herself the easy patrols, whereas Sunfern almost always woke up early and did the harder things when he was feeling good and not covered in scratches, but she's okay."

Goldensky nodded, finishing the mouse. The two cats sat together in silence, sharing tongues. Darkstorm looked at his paws briefly before opening his mouth to speak. He was cut off by Warmwhisker asking to come in. Goldensky let her in, and Warmwhisker stared straight at the light golden leader with fear in her eyes.

"We spotted a Sunclan patrol over the scent-line. When we confronted them, they attacked. Cloverpatch and Tortoiseclaw are hurt badly!" The dusty-brown she-cat meowed urgently. "What do we do!?" Warmwhisker asked.

"Nothing." Warmwhisker's mouth fell open as Goldensky said the simple word. "We will simply protect our borders, I will only take action when Featherpool is fine and Sunfern is home." She told the senior warrior, who was standing with disbelief in her eyes.

"But Goldensky-" Warmwhisker began, trembling in fear. "They fought so...so...roughly. They didn't care that they could take another cats life by ripping their throat! They seemed to enjoy it, as if they wanted to use brutal, unfair, and cruel moves to kill the enemy for fun!" Warmwhisker screeched, on the verge of tears.

Goldensky flicked her tail at the warrior, thinking, I need to discuss this, but not with you. She turned to Darkstorm as Warmwhisker left the den. "You were trying to say something?" She meowed curiously.

"Well..." Darkstorm began. "I-I know that it has only been a few moons since Flamestorm has...well...joined Starclan." He struggled on, Goldensky getting more and more confused. "But you are so great...and I really like you..." Darkstorm finished awkwardly. Goldensky's eyes widened. I never thought of him that way...he's not a bad cat, but I'm carrying Flamestorm's kits!

"I-I don't know what to say." Goldensky said lamely. "You're great, and you are loyal and clever, but I am carrying Flamestorm's kits, it just...doesn't feel right." She meowed hesitantly. Darkstorm dropped his gaze and nodded slowly.

"Okay..." Was all he meowed before bolting out of the den. Goldensky chased after him, slow because of her large belly. Any day now...It's been awhile since I've had kits.

"Darkstorm wait! Stop!" She yowled after him. The dark tom was strong and fast, too fast for Goldensky. With horror, she realized that he was heading for the river. It'll sweep even a strong warrior like him away! I can't loose him! He's too important to me...and Featherpool...I don't know what she would do without her brother. Darkstorm leaped into the water, his muscles rippling, just as Goldensky got there. She jumped too, grabbing his scruff and trying to yank him to shore. Instead, she fell in the water with him.

"Why did you save me!? I wasn't able to earn your love!" He wailed. "Let me die! There's no one else that cares!" The large tom was slowly letting go, trying to sink into the water.