94.

A/N it's a long ass chapter :'( (it's not sad dw i'm just sad that it's one of the last chapters)

Chapter 94 | Lucas' Birthday

Isabella:

"Oh good, you're here mija," my mom greets me as I step into the backyard after school, immediately throwing my hair into a ponytail and getting into party planning mode. "Everything is going smoothly," she says, looking down at the clipboard in her hand, her fingers skimming the huge list I've written out for her of everything that needs to be completed before Lucas arrives in about 2 hours.

"Mia's with Luke which should give us a bit of leeway with time seeing as she can stall him before they leave," I respond, gazing over at the list and seeing which items have been ticked off. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Aidan, Dylan and Grace rush to and from the house, following the demands of a bossy abuela. When Aidan and Dylan stop to take a breather and Grace pauses to wipe sweat from off her brow, the three get mercilessly yelled at, yelling that causing both my mom and I to wince and look up from the clipboard.

"Ma, leave the kids alone will you!" My mom says to abuela, "check on the cooking like you're supposed to be doing, the kids know what to do."

My grandmother opens her mouth to speak as my mom shoots her a knowing glare. However, before Abuela can utter a single word, she is cut off by a loud, familiar beeping - the sound of the smoke alarm ringing out into the air.

Everybody freezes in their places.

My gaze snaps to the door leading into the kitchen as abuela's eyes widen in panic, as do mine when I see the faint trail of smoke through the glass.

Oh no...

"The food!" Aidan wails in heartbreak, jumping into action and rushing into the kitchen. "The FOOD!"

We all follow him suit, batting away smoke from our vision as the loud beeping noise increases the closer we get to the oven.

Both Aidan and my grandmother grab dishcloths and wave them wildly in the air, jumping up and trying to get the smoke alarm to stop beeping. Well, Aidan manages to bat the smoke away anyway; my grandmother's short frame limits her from even reaching the bit of air that the smoke is wafting in, her dishcloth waving only manages to wack Aidan in the chest every time she jumps up.

"This is not good," Grace mutters, as my mom pulls whatever was baking inside the oven out, hastily putting the tray on top of the counter. It drops onto the marble top with a clang and we all peer over it to see what it was, the smoke alarm ringing finally coming to a stop.

"Please tell me that wasn't the cake," Dylan groans, staring down at what looks like a black rock. "I was so looking forward to eating that."

"It isn't," I reassure him, grimacing when my abuela pokes at it with a fork. "I made the cake yesterday, it's in the fridge."

"Ah good," Aidan sighs, taking a seat out of relief and exhaustion before running a hand down his face. "I was going to cry."

"Ma what was it that you burned?" My mom asks, opening the windows wide open to clear the air. She wrinkles her nose as she stares down at the burnt thing again. "It smells funny."

Abuela laughs sheepishly. "It was uh brownies."

My eyebrows scrunch together. "But I made brownies already."

"They're not for the party."

"Why were you baking them then?" My mother asks.

My grandmother clears her throat and scratches the side of her nose suspiciously, her cheeks blooming pink. "For my bingo friends and I to have a little," there's a pause before she continues,"...fun."