𝙨𝙞𝙭

CHAPTER SIX
"nightmare"

After Jane packs the RV with things she's found in the cars she stops by to T-Dog and checks on his arm

After Jane packs the RV with things she's found in the cars she stops by to T-Dog and checks on his arm. Earlier after Rick and Daryl went to search for Sophia she helped patch T-Dog up since she doesn't know how to stitch that well. "You feeling okay?" Jane asks as she feels the top of his head and it's a bit warm. "Just fine Doc" T-Dog sighs as he groans in pain. Jane stands up straight and turns around towards the woods spotting Rick and Daryl, who've returned without Sophia.

Carol is beside herself. "You didn't find anything?" she cries. "Her trail went cold" Rick explains. As Carol objects to her daughter spending the night alone in the woods, Daryl steps forward. "Hunting in the dark's no good," he tells her, "We will pick up the search tomorrow and make an organized effort at first light" Rick promises when Carol spots blood on Daryl's pants, and as she panics, they admit they gutted a walker to make sure it didn't get Sophia.

Carol angrily accuses Rick of leaving her daughter in the woods, and as Rick tries to explain himself, Shane stands behind him. Carol can't look at Rick and he walks away. Jane and the rest of the group is quiet amid the confrontation. Jane stands by the RV door unsure of what to do since she is knew to this whole group.

It's the next morning and Jane didn't get any sleep. She couldn't close her eyes without thinking of the CDC blowing up right before her. Jane walked out of the RV and seen Rick and Daryl. Jane bit her lip and hesitantly rushed up to them.

"Rick.. I was wondering if I could join you on the search with Sophia" Jane states as Daryl looks Jane up and down. "You don't even know how to shoot a gun, what help are you to us on this trip?" Daryl asks and Jane opens her mouth to speak but comes up empty.

"I just feel helpless, I could even try to use a knife.. I-I don't know. I just want to help. I already watched a friend blow up I don't wanna watch a women lose her daughter..." Jane explains and Rick nods his head slowly as he pulls a knife and gently hands it to Jane.

"When killing a walker you go for the head. The brain, always. They don't die from a stab in the heart" Rick explains and Jane takes the knife and grips it in her hand. "I understand" Jane states and Rick smiles sightly and sends Jane a reassuring nod.

Carl announces to his parents that he's joining the search for Sophia, and finds an ally in Dale who reasons, "He has all of you to look after him. I'd say he's in good hands."

The survivors, including Jane leave Dale and T-Dog, whose arm has been bandaged, at the RV, and head out to search the forest for Sophia. As the day wears on, the group is tired and worn from a long and fruitless search. They come upon a campsite with a tent and Jane hesitantly checks the tent and sees a bunch of flies around a dead man. She covers her mouth and spots a gun next to the dead man.

Jane waves her hand around and quickly grabs the gun and slides out of the tent. "Uh— I found a gun" Jane says and Rick takes it from Jane and inspects it. "How come Jenner had a gun but you didn't?" Rick ask and Jane shrugs. "I was the youngest out of everyone at CDC so they wouldn't let me use a gun, they thought I would treat it like a toy and go rogue" Jane explains. "How old are you?" Rick asks tilting his head.

"23.. I only did 1 year of college and I applied for the CDC it took a lot of convincing but they hired me and here I am now" Jane says and Rick widens his eyes and hands Jane the gun. "You won't go rogue, right?" Rick asks and Jane chuckles shaking her head.

"No, but-" Jane says as Rick takes Janes hand and places the gun in it. "You're not a kid, i'll teach you how to shoot but this is yours" Rick says as Jane looks down at the gun in her hands. "Okay" Jane mumbles and Rick smiles and nods at her. Rick walks away and Jane puts the gun in the back of her pants in between the stem of the jeans.

The group continues through the woods but become overjoyed when they hear the sounds of church bells in the woods. They have hope that Sophia is setting them off and run towards the noise and find a small Baptist church, but Shane insists it's the wrong one, because it doesn't have a steeple.

They head inside anyway - Rick, Shane, and Daryl killing walkers, but they find no trace of Sophia. Shane continues insisting it's the wrong church, when the bells ring again. They run outside, and find the automated bell timer around the side of the building.

Glenn looks around at the cords trying to figure out how to stop the noise. Jane rushes over next to him and looks at the cords also. "Does a virologist know this stuff?" Glenn asks and Jane uses the knife to cut all the cords and it's shuts off the bell. "A virologist knows how to do that" Jane says as Glenn shrugs his shoulders as him and Jane both rush to the front of the church to get to the group.

Carol announces she's going back inside the church for a while. Carl, Rick, and Glenn join her inside, while Andrea and Jane take a rest outside in the shade. They overhear Lori and Shane talking about his plans to leave, and hears Lori tell Shane she thinks he's making the right choice to go. Jane and Andrea look at each other but Andrea looks at Jane with confusion and Jane has no expression at all. After Lori heads inside the church with the others.

"What do you know?" Andrea asks and Jane furrows her eyebrows and looks at Andrea in confusion. "I-I have no clue what you mean" Jane states and Andrea rest her hands on her knees and tilts her head looking at Jane. "You didn't seem shocked at all at that conversation that just happened and you just got here so what do you know?" Andrea asks trying to get a word out of Jane but she doesn't budge that easily.

"It's really not my place to say. I'm gonna go head inside" Jane says as she stands up and quickly enters the church before Andrea could ask anymore questions.

With daylight fading, the others decide to head back to the RV, but Rick isn't ready to give up the search for Sophia. Reluctantly, Shane agrees to stay behind. Carl and Jane too, insists on staying with them. "She's my friend," he says, and Lori agrees to let him stay with his dad.

"I'm not letting a mother lose her child. I can't, so i'll stay and help you find her" Jane says looking over at Rick who sends her a nod, happy she's joining along.

The group part ways and Carl, Jane, Rick, Shane and Daryl try there best to search for Sophia. They call her name a couple times and come across some walkers but Jane hangs back with Carl as Shane, Rick and Daryl deal with it for now. They suddenly come upon a buck stopped in a clearing.

Shane raises his gun to shoot it, but Rick holds him back as a curious Carl slowly moves closer to the buck. Jane smiles as she looks at the buck then looks over to a shocked Rick who is also smiling. Smiling, Carl turns back to Rick and Shane, who watch peacefully, as the deer stands tall, staring back at Carl.

They don't move. Shane grins. Rick has his moment. Jane is in awe. Suddenly, a gunshot, and as the deer falls, Carl too goes down, blood seeping from his chest.

A happy moment turned into a nightmare...

WORD COUNT: 1388