7

Rosaline

We had finally gotten to the ball after a forty-five minute ride. While all the women were conversing about how it's like to be a lady and many more things, I sat at the back eating. The food here was so good and it felt like I was floating on clouds after every bite. I was content with sitting at the back and didn't really want to talk to anyone. Partly because I was now Rosaline Vladenburg, the woman everyone hates but also because I didn't know how to converse with others. It's something I've long forgotten, sitting at the back watching is something that fits me more. It's as if there's a barrier between me and others. "I'll never forget this feeling will I..?"  I said quietly with a chuckle not noticing that there was someone beside me.

"Hm, what did you say?" I nearly shrieked, this person just came out of nowhere. I turned around to see a tall woman, slightly taller than me with tan skin, dark brown wavy hair and forest green eyes. She was beautiful and I just couldn't help but stare at her. 

"Ah, right! I'm Rosaline Vladenburg." I said as I bowed down and did the usual greeting from this world. 'I would've continued staring if I wasn't thinking straight..'

She chuckled at my reaction and returned the greeting. "I'm Ellanor Serpretus, it's a pleasure to meet you." The woman seemed nice but I wondered why she would talk to me. I don't think this was ever mentioned in the original novel. I took another bite of the muffin while still lost in thought. "You seem to be enjoying the food." She said with a smile, I nearly choked on the food forgetting that I needed to think about my appearance. She chuckled at my reaction and wiped some crumbs of my cheeks. We stayed together and talked for some time and forgot that there was a ball right around us. Well she was mainly the one talking while I was only listening. Turned out that she decided to talk to me because she was interested in the type of person I was. There were a lot of rumors about how bad I was but apparently I didn't seem that way. Probably because I'm not really Rosaline..

But our conversation got cut short as a figure came looming over us. It was none other than Elliot Ravenden but what could he want here? Maybe he came for the food or wanted to talk to Ellanor? "May I have this dance?" Both me and Ellanor stared at him shocked. Right, right he wants to dance with Ellanor, but then why is he looking at me..? We stared at each other in silence but then I slowly started to remember more of what happened in the novel.

Elliot and Rosaline danced together but it didn't go like this.. She forced him to it and was close to throwing a tantrum and since Elliot didn't want to cause a scene he asked for a dance. I realized that some time had passed and I needed to answer, but it felt like I had no choice. If I declined wouldn't that humiliate him? I didn't want to anger him. He may think I said no because I'm trying to play hard to get or something so I swallowed my nerves and took his hand. 

"Of course." 

I forced my best smile as he looked at me with the usual uncaring expression. We entered the dance floor and moved to the music. 'I'm gonna have to hope that Rosaline's body remembers how to dance since I sure as hell don't.' But since life can never go my way I ended up making a mistake and tripped. It felt like my body was falling in slow motion but my mind was going at a normal speed and that's when I finally remembered. 

Rosaline fell.

When she was dancing with Elliot at the ball she messed up and fell. Elliot did nothing to help and only watched her. The nobles stood around her, scoffing and laughing as she laid there, humiliated on the ground. Hiding back her tears. 

And now it's gonna happen to me.

I really can't escape this can I.

I smiled while looking up, ready to hit the hard floor.

Not even bothering to protect myself.

But why is my body still up?

Why can I feel a warm hand holding my waist.

I opened my eyes only to see Elliot.

He had protected me.. but..

"Why?"