30.

Vote Target-350

All the crying hadn't helped Maheen with her head. With a throbbing head she washed her tear streaked face and walked out of the bathroom hoping for her sake that Aditya wouldn't be in the room.

"Baaji ? Are you alright ?"

Maheen looked at Jhumri who looked at her with concern.

"I am." Maheen said giving her a small smile. "My head hurts."

"Change into this, I'll go get you some medicine from the doctor." She said handing Maheen the brown cotton kurta and pants.

"Thank you." Maheen replied giving her a small smile.

Jhumri nodded and walked towards the door.
"Oh before I forget, the king said he will be back in some, he will be joining you for lunch in your room." Jhumri relayed the information before skipping out of the room.

Maheen signed. She walked towards the dressing area and drew the curtains.

She undid her saree and her blouse and underskirt. She was exhausted from an early morning and all the emotional stress.

She picked the saree and folded the long nine yards of fabric.
Her mind going back to Aditya's words. To his actions.

He wasn't as bad as she had thought him to be, he had held on to her when she knew she was about to crumble.

"Maheen."

The all too familiar voice made her jump. Why was he back so early.

"'Maheen."

Maheen kept quite as she threw the folded saree on the floor again and picked up the kurta trying to get her hand and arms through it.

"Maheen." The voice was too close.

"Don't come here, please !" Maheen said quickly.

"What ? Where are you ?" She could hear the voice approach closer.

"I'm changing. Please yaha matt aaiye aap." Maheen squealed as she pushed her arms through the kurta and pulled it down. She hopped into the pair of pants and secured them around her waist. (Please don't come here!)

"Alright. Come out after you are done, food is here." Aditya said, Maheen could hear his retreating footsteps and let out the breath she was holding.

Maheen picked up the discarded saree and put them back into the trunk. She looked at her puffy face and sigh.
Applying some kohl again and a pinch of vermilion she walked back into the room to meet Aditya.

She looked around the room but there was no trace of him. A frown etched on her face, how did he manage to disappear so quickly.

"I'm here."

Maheen turned around, the voice had come from the balcony attached to their bedroom.

Maheen walked towards the balcony and stepped out.
Even for a sunny afternoon the winds were chilly.

"The food is almost cold, but I didn't feel like eating inside, I hope you -."

"I don't mind." Maheen said walking towards the chair opposite to his. The food was laid out for two and Aditya waited for his turn as Maheen as she served food for herself before taking food in his own plate.

For a long time the sound of the birds, wind and cutlery were the only noise filling the silence between the two.

It was  Aditya who decided to finally speak up.