CHAPTER 2

Remorse is something one should feel when wrongly acting upon something. So why, when I plunge a knife deep into someone's body, do I feel nothing at all?

____

I walked into the supermarket, slightly wet from the rain and holding my mother's shopping list for dinner. I grabbed the first shopping cart I saw, which was one of those with the doggy wheel at the front, making it impossible to have a pleasant half-hour of shopping. Beginning my awkward stroll along with the aisles, I found what I needed, headed to the next row and continued that until I was finished.

Placing my items on the self-checkout, I secured them in a tote bag I got when I was 14 and started my journey back home. Lingering on my towns quiet and icy streets made me think back to the text I received about Justin. Who was that girl, and why did she look so familiar?

Trying to think back to everyone I have ever met, including the people I used to fight with. I stopped fighting not long ago because my parents found me when I had a black eye, trying to sneak in the front door one night. The only reason I had the stupid bruise was that I thought I saw someone I knew, so I stopped paying attention and got hit. The only other time I had gotten marks was when I first joined and had no idea what I was getting myself into.

I was cut off from my thoughts by a man screaming.

Glancing over to where it came from, I saw a tall, dark figure towering over a body that was lying on the ground, panting, making him squat down to whisper something in his ear. Whatever the moonless man said made his victim yell in terror. He slid his hand into his pocket and returned with a gun, firing quickly so that the man's pleas stopped. It was making me smirk.

The man glanced up at me once before fleeing down the dark alley. I couldn't help but think I had seen him somewhere; just the way he stood felt familiar.

Trudging through the mist, I finally reached the front porch and stepped through the front door of my house. Entering the kitchen, I unload everything and begin to make dinner. My dad walks through the door, grabbing a beer from the fridge and sitting down on the dining table.

"Did you hear that two more people have been pronounced missing this week? I don't want you walking home in the dark by yourself or ever, not until this psycho gets found and it's safe again." He says, looking up from his beer.

"Two?" I questioned, pulling my gaze away from the dinner and to him.

He hums, finding a newspaper next to him, making him take his attention away from you.

Smirking, i thought about how easy it was to make them beg. If only you knew father.

***

Sleep has always been a problem for me; I can never get enough of it, and when I do, I either wake up from a nightmare or am awakened by someone. I lay wide awake at 5 am on a Saturday reading Twilight for the tenth time, attempting to pass the time before I head over to Sammys. I can't help but think how fun it will be when I confront Justin. I've always wanted to know how he would react or how loud his cries would be.

As I gaze out my little bedroom window, I notice that the sun is rising, signalling time to get dressed. Throwing off my doona and hopping out of bed, I place my book on my bedside table, wandering into my bathroom to get ready.

I turned the shower on, stepped in and immediately welcomed the warmth to my body. After washing my hair and body, I stepped out, wrapped a towel around me, brushed my teeth and headed to my closet. I chose to wear black sweats with a baggy dark grey hoodie and my air jordans. Grabbing my duffle bag, I packed everything I would need for Sam's and travelled downstairs. Both my parents were still asleep, so I quickly made my way outside and into my car.