16

The possibility of nullification of her marriage. One more thing she didn't want to think about, at all.

" Now I don't know why he thinks that your marriage to him is wrong but maybe he educated you on this topic." Thakuma inquired.

" All child marriages are wrong and I agree with him. And I don't need him to educate me on every thing. I have a brain of my own. I have observed the effects such marriages have on children." Bondita answered.

" So you too want to get out of the marriage ? " Thakuma's disbelief was evident.

" No. Because I am lucky. Dugga ma has blessed me with a husband who has protected me against not only child marriage but every thing that is wrong in society. He has given me dreams, wings. Those other children are not that fortunate. My marriage, in what ever condition it was sealed, is a boon to me"

" And he considers it a mistake. That is why he is trying so hard to nullify it. Here is what is going to happen Bondita. If he doesn't succeed, you will be a reminder of his failure, sitting right infront of his face every day. Just a social issue he could not resolve." Thakuma was being mercilessly.

And it was taking a toll on Bondita.

" And if he succeeds, you will be out of that haveli and his life. Whatever he has given you was only possible because he was your husband. He has every right over anything and everything that happens to you. Do you know what will happen when this marriage seizes to exist ? He would lose all those rights."

The prospect chilled Bondita to the core.

" And who will hold those rights after him ?"

Bondita looked at thakuma, perplexed.

" Me." Thakuma smiled. " I would be responsible for every thing that would happen in your life. And you know very well how that is going to be" She said caressing Bondita's cheeks, it was not at all comforting.

" No studies, no frolicking around, no chattering questions. That would be your life. And he knows that well and still is trying to do it. He doesn't care what would happen to you. He just wants to amend the society. He can sacrifice you for it. He has done it in the past."

Bondita could not let thakuma see to what extent the dagger of her words had pierced.

" Whatever happens, whatever we decide will be between me and my pati babu " the quiver in her voice gave her away. She yet continued " my marriage, my bond with him needs no validation and specially not by people who have nothing better than to sit and judge others. You said all that to me knowing what it would do to me. And then you stand blaming him."

Bondita was now shaking with anger.
" YES...! He hurt me. He damaged me to a point of no return but in the end it is between us and only us. No one has any rights to ask me how I justify the events of my marriage. It is my choice if I even want there to be a justification." She was gasping for air.

" Once again. It is my marriage, my husband and I do not need others to tell me what my value is in my pati Babu's eyes...!"

And she ran out of there. Ran away from those cruel words, those mocking eyes, the pity of the society.

But she could not run away anymore from the questions she had so long ago buried, just like her feelings. It had been easier to ignore the feelings of love than to ignore the feelings of betrayal. But she had done it and moved past them all. She was happy.

Till now.

She was bleeding. Her heart was. And even in that stay, her injured heart guided her feet to that one destination. The source of her plight, her suffering, the reason for every tear she was shedding. She found herself in front of her room. Standing there, seperated from her pati babu by just a door.
He was her sanctuary. Even after all that had happened, all that she was forced to realise and remember by her thakuma, she still knew where her solace was.