Pt 5 Chapter 21 - Home

Y/n's POV

Over the next 24 hours Bruce and the others worked to rebuild a quantum jumper, time machine thing. This would allow Steve to return the stones. After several debates and another few arguments it was decided we would definitely not risk the life of someone for the sake of lost trinkets. Clint was still with his family and we were all still squished in the Stark cabin. Wanda had told us that she was going somewhere for the day but there was something else, I could tell. I tried not to cast it too much thought as I gave Harriet her breakfast.

Later that afternoon the time came. We knew there were risks but Steve accepted all of them. We had run through his job and what he had to do with each stone until we knew he was completely prepared.

Thor was allowing him to keep mjolnir to give him extra protection. When the time was right and all was ready Cap suited up. Harriet, Bruce and I made our way down to where they had set up the machine, in the woods near the cabin. I looked at Bruce.

"You know I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back. I miss her, she was our team mate, our friend. Yanno? She was a little distant at times, and a bit prickly but I really do miss her." I sighed.

"She was your love, you were the epic love story. Of course you're going to miss her. We all do." He nudged my arm as we approached the machine.

We walked down just as they were talking

"You know if you want, I could come with you." Sam said to Steve.

"You're a good man, Sam." Steve smiled. "This one's on me, though." He moved to say goodbye to Bucky.

"Don't do anything stupid till I get back." He smiled.

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." Bucky laughed. It was the first time I had really seen him laugh, or show any positive emotion since he came back from the blip. The boys gave each other a hug as we watched.

"Gonna miss you buddy." Bucky sighed.

"It's gonna be okay, Buck." Steve told him, taking one last look at his friend. He came to Harriet and I. Cap bent down and gave Harriet a hug.

"Good luck Uncle Steve." She whispered not so quietly. Steve stood up and winked at her. I gently hit him on the arm. Steve stepped onto the machine and I handed him his hammer.

"Stay safe, I need you home for dinner by 7, okay?" I smirked at him.

"I'll be there." He smiled. There was a hint of mischief in his eye that I had not seen in quite some time. He was up to something.

"How long is this gonna take?" Sam asked.

"For him, as long as he needs. For us, five seconds." Bruce told him. "You ready Cap?" He asked and Steve nodded.

"All right, we'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet." Steve said as he put on his helmet.

"Going quantum... Three... Two... One." Bruce said as the machine beeped. Steve disappeared.

"And returning in five... four... three... two... one." The machine beeped again, however there was no Steve. Bruce looked at the machine very confused.

"Where is he?" Sam looked at Bruce with a puzzled expression.

"I don't know. He blew right by his time stamp." Bruce sounded panicked. "He should be here."

Bucky turned to walk away slightly.

"Well get him back." Sam sounded a little worried.

"I'm trying." Bruce said desperately.