thirty-nine: eye for an eye

Harrick Remmington, a wolf whose name sounded all too familiar to him but never had he imagined for that name to be so close to him. Nathaniel spent a good number of years trying to hunt him down and to find out no he was suppose to be his brother had electrified him.

He couldn’t deny it. Despite bearing no resemblance to their father, he felt the bond brought by his father’s infidelity. His wolf stirred at the connection. It was far beyond what he had expected to feel.

Is his quest to find all his siblings even worth it now when who stood in front of him just derailed all his expectations? Just how many sons did his father sire? He hadn’t anticipated another sibling other than the one in his father’s letter.

“Incredible.” Jacob sighed defeated. “My father slept with a random Remmington woman.”

“Our father did not sleep with a random Remmington. He made love to his mate. Lived with her for a month and then ditched her before he found out she was pregnant.” Harrick corrected with a light tone.

Nathaniel gritted his teeth. So, he found his mate just like Eliza found hers. Though he had already condemned his mother for her actions, she spent decades fixing her faults and what came out of it, Winston was a brother who has been a firm shoulder he could lean on. His father is a different case, different scenario. He hid his betrayal under the shadows of shame while his wife was laid under the sun to writhe in the heat of everyone’s anger.

His father was not a good person.

“Made love, huh? Are you sure he wasn’t just pumping and dumping his load while he was making ‘alliances’? For all we know, your mother was nothing but a booty call.” Jacob sneered.

Harrick’s amused disposition grew as he erupted into a chain of laughter.

“Ah, Jacob. Your infamy involving women has not slipped from my ears. You and I are alike.” He spoke.

Jacob kissed his teeth, his patience continually wearing thin.

“Cut the shit, Harrick. Whatever you’re doing here, just get it over with.”

“I like that.” He smirked. “You like to cut to the chase. Well, I’m confident that I no longer need to iterate the reason why I’m here.”

Nathaniel furrowed his brows, wondering what else did the wolf want when Frank and Hope and took off successfully under his nose.

“That old man and his daughter are no longer here. Your wolves have extracted them.” Nathaniel confesses grudgingly.

“Oh, not Frank. I know where he is right now. I’m here for another wolf. My pup, Frederick.”

He might have been out of the loop and considering all the revelations all popping out at the same time like mushrooms, he was swamped with many other thoughts. But one thing is sure. Frederick was not his son. Though he was only a listener, he heard the words Francis had barked at his father.

“You mean, Sebastian? Francis Remmington’s child. I’m afraid the pup’s not here too.”

Harrick’s face morphed into a face Nathaniel could only describe as pure horror and distaste.

“Sebastian? What a Moonawful name that is. I named him Frederick. A name fit for a king.” He exclaims, pinching the bridge of his nose while he shook his head. “But yes, that is my son. My name is written on his birth certificate, therefore legally I fathered him.”

“That is none of our concern, wolf. Believe my brother, the pup is not here.” Jacob spat.

Harrick sighs. “I’m not someone to be trifled with, brothers. Do not make me lose my patience.”