Chapter 14

Citizen Z's POV:

I watched as Ellie was shot and bitten by a Z. "Nooo!" I yelled out. The team left the building while an alarm rang out. "Oh no, he set off the detonation. I just hope it won't cause the rest to go off." I said. I then went to my computer and began typing to find if it did. Thankfully it didn't. It only set the nuke off for the lab.

Ellie's POV:
As the car had been flipped we all were upside down. I lay on the roof with my face on the hood. "Warren." I croaked out. "Ellie, are you ok?" She asked. "No." I replied Doc and the rest all got out and slowly pulled me from the wreck. "Ahh!" I screamed as my wound tore. "Easy everyone." Doc said. "Holy shit. Is that snow?" Doc asked as he held me up. "Nah, that's not snow." Warren said. "That's ash. Radioactive fallout." I coughed out. "How's Amelia?" I asked. "Hanging...in there." Amelia said. Our radio then began to sound out static. It was an emergency broadcast. Citizen Z was talking about Murphy. Warren grabbed the radio and tuned in. "Citizen Z? What's happening?" Warren asked. "A automative message. I made in case something happened and Murphy couldn't be found." Citizen Z said. "What the hell? Am I really that bad?" Murphy asked. "Yes." Warren answered. "We just have to be careful." Warren said. "I tried taking it down but my system won't let me." Citizen Z said. "Doc, go to the van and grab the supplies of the medicine. Dump it in any baggie you have." I said. Doc gave my arm to 10k and ran back to the van. Soon Doc came back with his medic bag filled with the meds. "Let's cover up and get out of here." Warren said. We walked as far as we could before our bodies hit the wall. Murphy was still trucking along fine, but for the rest of us we were barely making it. We were in some sort of apocalyptic junkyard. We got to somewhere I could sit before I gave up. "Go, leave me. With this bite I'm somehow still alive when I should have turned. But that could change. Leave me in a hole with a gun and ammo." I said coughing. "Hey, we aren't leaving you anywhere. Here, take the last of the water." Warren said. "No, someone else could use it." I said. "Raise your hands if you want to give the water to Ellie." Warren said. Everyone even Murphy raised their hands. "See, even Murphy wants you to have it." Doc said. "Fine." I said taking the water. "How's the wound Doc?" I asked. "The bleeding stopped but I'm worried if we don't get the bullet out fast then you may die." Doc said with a worried expression. "What about the bite?" I asked. "It looks good, somehow is almost healed. If we are lucky you might be like Murphy." Doc said jokingly. "We can only hope." Warren said with a worried face. "I have maybe a days worth left in me." I said. "We'll go looking for help. I don't want us splitting up." Warren said. "Darren can you get her?" Doc asked. "Yeah, I still got enough energy." Darren said picking me up. I hissed through the pain before hitting his shoulder. "Easy." I hissed at him. "Sorry." Darren replied before we went on. We walked further on into the junk yard before I couldn't actually go any further. "Stop. I can't go on." I said. "Ok, Doc, 10k, and Darren you stay here with Ellie. The rest of us will go on." Warren said.

As the group left I went into a coughing fit. Doc rushed to my side and held me. "Come on Ellie, you've got this." Doc said as he patted my back.  We sat there for a decent amount of time before 10k looked out. "Hey, look. Something is flickering over there." 10k said pointing at a tower. "Should we investigate?" I asked. "It wouldn't hurt to." Doc said. "All right, Ellie you ready?" Darren asked. "As I'll ever be." I said preparing for Darren to pick me up. "Ok on three... 1... 2... 3." Darren said before lifting me up. I hissed in pain before biting my hand. We walked close to the tower before going up on an RV for a vantage point. We saw two people fighting Zs. The man was holding off a Z while the woman was trying to shoot them. "Hold him still." The woman said. "It's a little hard to do." The man yelled out. 10k then got a shot on the Z and took it. The Z fell over dead. Doc waved down to what looked like Addy and Mack. "Three thousand ninety nine." 10k said. "We saw your signal!" Doc yelled out. "I'll be damned. Doc, 10k!" Addy yelled out. "Hell yeah, half the group split to get help or supplies." Doc said. "Is Ellie with you?" Addy asked. "I'm... I'm here." I coughed out. Darren hoped down and Doc grabbed me to slowly put me down to Darren. "What happened?" Addy asked worried as she ran to us. "Crazy doctor and two soldiers. One got bitten and shot her." Doc said. "Ellie, are you ok?" Addy asked as she easily hugged me. "I could be a lot better, but I'm holding in there." I said. Not long after we got on their four wheeler's trailer and set sail. After a while we road upon Warren and the others with food and water. "I'll be damned." Doc said. "Got us some supplies. Especially medical supplies." Warren said setting it in the trailer. The group got on and we road toward Cheyenne, Wyoming.