Part 44

Between attending classes, almost dying of exhaustion at physical training sessions, studying for exams, and, most importantly, preparing for our mission at KORP, the next few weeks fly by faster than I expect.

Final exams come and go. Everyone passes.

It's the day before our mission at KORP, which we strategically planned to fall on the same night as the Newbie Cadet Inaugural Gala. And, I need a dress to wear.

"This is going to be SO FUN," Eva screams. "I LOVE SHOPPING!"

All I've been thinking about lately is our mission, so I haven't thought at all about what I'm going to wear. Eva decides to do me a huge favor and take me on a last minute trip to her favorite boutique on Shinar.

Of course, she's had her outfit picked out for weeks, along with accessories, shoes, make-up, everything.

Her dress looks like this awesome, glittery cupcake.

It doesn't have any straps and hits her just above her knees. It's tight on top and then starting at her hips, poofs out like a tutu. It's black but has spots of yellow and hot pink and green and blue and is covered in iridescent sequins. She's wearing it with hot pink heels and huge earrings. All of her accessories are hot pink.

It's all so bright and sparkly and just so Eva.

She looks amazing in it. I would most definitely look terrible.

I'm in the bathroom, brushing my teeth and dreading what is about to ensue. I hate shopping. It's so exhausting...and boring.

"Ugh, don't be such a grump," Eva says, as she enters the bathroom to put on some mascara. "I don't understand how you don't like this kinda stuff. You're such a teenage boy sometimes."

I roll my eyes and laugh, "I don't know, I just don't get it."

"Well, try to not be a total downer today, okay?" says Eva. "It really sucks to go shopping with someone who isn't having as much fun as me."

"I'll try," I answer. "I promise."

Eva and I eat a quick breakfast and then head out toward the boutique.

When we enter the shop, my jaw drops. I pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. I am convinced I've stepped inside of a crystal ball.

The floor is covered in huge, pearl-colored tiles that shimmer. The ceilings are massively high. Big, sparkly chandeliers hang from multiple corners.

Beautiful dresses full of color and sheen hang everywhere. Accessories drip from the racks.

Sheer chiffon curtains billow in front of each of the dressing rooms. We are surrounded by a circle of mirrors that reflect the dresses, the lights and each other.

There is huge walkway in the middle of the room, strung with lights and bookended with gigantic mirrors.

In a word, the space is: glamorous.

The woman at the front immediately approaches us.

"Eva, how are you?" she asks, smiling and giving her a big hug. "It's so nice to see you!"

"Same, Ingrid," says Eva. "This is Karina."

Ingrid shakes my hand, "Nice to meet you."

"What can I help you two with today," she adds. 

"We're looking for a dress for her," Eva says, pointing at me. "It's for the Squad's Inaugural Gala tonight - we're both being inducted."

The woman brightens, "How wonderful - congratulations to you both!"