17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ;
HEARTBEAT

Once the mysterious and totally not suspicious person walked away, Junpei's mother appeared out of no where and invited us over for dinner.

She was definitely lively and seemed to enjoy drinking to a worrying degree, but she was nice. She was pretty much enthralled with Itadori's stories and was cackling every 2 minutes.

Laughing so much seemed to of taken a toll on her and she was passed out after about an hour or two.

"Your mum's a good person, huh?" Itadori complimented as the other teen mumbled a 'yes'.

"What is your mother like, Itadori?" he asked.

"Oh, well, I never met her. I have a faint memory of my dad though. That because my grandfather was there instead."

A ring came from his pant pocket and he apologised and I sweatdropped slightly.

'that's possibly the worst timing I've ever heard...'

"Itadori, [L/N], you're both shamans right?" Junpei asked as Itadori got his phone out.

"Unfortunately" I sighed dramatically

"Have you... Ever killed anyone?"

"I haven't" Itadori started and Junpei raised his eyebrows in suprise.

"But, one day you'll have to fight a bad shaman, right? What will you do then?"

"Even so, I don't want to kill anyone." the pink haired teen looked down with a sincere look.

"Why? You'd be dealing with a bad shaman, you know?"

The sorcerer hummed in acknowledgement, "Well, I mean once I kill someone, the choice of killing will come into my life, I think" he continued, "the value of life will become ambiguous and I'm scared of not even knowing anymore, the value of the people I treasure."

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THAT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL!" I wailed, "PLEASE MARRY ME–"

"Ah right!" the vessel's eyes lit up and he suddenly became frantic, "It's getting late and we don't want to be late for training!"

"Eh?" I made a small noise before realising what he meant,

"NO WAY! DON'T DRAG ME BACK TO THAT HELL HOLE! MY BODY CAN'T HANDLE ANOTHER SWING OF A SWORD! DO YOU WANT MY ARMS TO FALL OFF!?"

"We'll see you later Junpei!" the much happier teen waved goodbye with a hand on the back of my collar and effectively dragging me out.

By the time we got to the street we were told to wait at, the car was already there. The drive back to the school was quiet with Itadori dozing off in the front seat and me being left to think to myself in the back.

'something seems to be bothering Junpei.' I thought.

His heartbeat was alot faster when he was interrogating us about killing evil shamans.

'Why is that? Why would he care about us killing anything, let alone shamans of all things?'

It was true. He seemed to be last kind of person to have any connection to an evil shaman or BE a shaman.

'I could hear the remains of something sinister on him though...what could it be?'

My ability to hear things from the past strongly was an extraordinary, but terrifying talent I have.

I could hear something akin to white noise around Junpei. It wasn't human that's for sure. It wasn't coming from Junpei though.

It was similar to that mystery person I had seen when we were next to the lake. Though it wasn't a heartbeat.

It was an horrific noise.

It sent chills down my spine whenever I was near him.

'perhaps he's like ever other troubled person who has a small curse attached to him?'

That was probably the most plausible possibility.

It was known amongst people who killed curses to leave the much smaller ones that are attached to people who are perhaps a little stressed or under the weather alone to avoid confrontation or suspicion. They were usually like the fly heads – harmless.

They never sounded like that though.

'Oh well, I  can always think over it a bit more tommorow'

And with that, my eyes closed and darkness ensued.

══════════════════

here's an update.

Sorry it late I've been busy revising for a maths test :))