Chapter 8

Another week passed and every two days Moriarty sent me something. 
One day a silverish bracelet, one day a pair of pearl earrings, one day a perfume, one day a dress.
He continued to text me and I answered him every time. 
We just talked about the presents he had sent me, if I liked and my thanks.
Nothing more, nothing less.
John, Sherlock and Mycroft didn't know anything about our texts, but they knew about the presents that he sent me.
-Can I go out for a walk?- I asked Sherlock, one morning -It's three days that I'm locked here.- I complained. 
-Where are you going?- he asked, not raising his gaze from the newspaper.
-Just a walk. I'll be back for lunch.- I said.
-Yeah, okay.- he said, looking at me -Just be careful, alright?- he gave me a half smile. 
-I will, Sherl, don't worry. See you later.- I smiled at him.
-Bye y/n/n.- 
I ran to my flat, took the coat and my bag and left the building. 
I started to walk, not even caring about where I was going.
I didn't have a precise destination. 
The city was alive and beautiful like always.
People with their partner, their kids or their pets, smiling and talking, enjoying the cool breeze.
Cars, cubs, motorcycles and bikes whizzed through the streets. 
I got distracted, for a second, and I bumped into something or rather someone.
-I'm truly sorry.- a man's voice said. 
-No, it's my fault, I wasn't looking.- I said, raising my gaze to see who I had bumped in.
When I saw his eyes I couldn't believe it was him.
-y/n?- he smiled, looking at me head to toe. 
-Oh, James, hey.- I smiled, a little shocked that he remembered my name.
He was still handsome as of the evening we met.
He was wearing a black suit, with a white shirt under it.
His dark hair pulled back.
-I had told you that we would meet again.- he said.
-Yeah, you did.- I said, still a little surprised that he remembered me.
-Can I invite you for a coffee or tea? Or whatever you like.- he proposed.
-Yes, you can. I don't have anything to do now.- I smiled, feeling my cheeks warm up. 
-That's wonderful.- he smiled -I know a café which isn't too far from here. It's about a few minutes walking, is it good for you?- 
-Yes, that's perfect.- I nodded and we started walking to the café. 
-I want to apologise for leaving you that evening, I really didn't want to. I felt so guilty about it.- he said while we walked.
-Don't worry, it's okay. If it can make you feel better, right after you left I found my brothers and friend.- I said.
-Yes, it does. Thanks.- he smiled -If something bad happened to you I would never forgive myself.- 
We chatted all the way to the café. 
I felt really comfortable talking with him. 
I felt like I have known him for a long time.
We got into the café and sat down at a table.
The waiters and waitresses acted like James was a regular customer here.
-I'll have my usual.- he said to the girl -Feel free to order what you want. It's on me. I have to make up for that evening.- he said to me, smiling.
-Thank you, but you don't have to.- I said, reading the menu.
-I don't have to, but I want to.- he shrugged. 
-I'll have just an iced tea.- I said, giving the menu to the girl.
-Add some macaroons too, thanks.- he said to the waitress.
-But James...- I tried to say.
-I insist.- he smiled and I gave up.
-Ok, thank you.- I smiled, blushing. 
After some minutes the waitress arrived with an iced tea, three macaroons, a green tea and a piece of apple pie.
I had a nice time with him.
But when I saw that it was almost time for me to get back to my flat, I told him and he proposed to accompany me.
-A walk won't kill me, besides it's near where I have to go.- he smiled, taking out his wallet and paying. 
-Thank you. In this case let's go.- I smiled back at him, as we left the café. 
We reached Baker Street and when we arrived in front of the door, he got a call and quickly greeted me, because he had work to do.
Sighing I stepped in the building and immediately cursed myself for forgetting to ask his phone number.
Again.
-You're late.- Sherlock said, in a very serious tone. 
-Sorry Sherl. I met that James guy from the other evening, he invited me for something to drink, we went to a café.- I explained. 
-Next time just tell me, alright?- his tone changed.
-Yes, sorry.- I smiled at him -Where's John, anyway?-
-He had some stuff to do. And so do I.- he said.
-What do you have to do?- I asked, curious.
-Nothing too important, don't worry. I'll be back later. Don't go outside alone please.- he said.
-I won't, Sherl, I won't.- I smiled at him.
-Good. If John or I don't come back for midnight, call Lestrade. Ok?-
-What? Why?- I asked, worriedly. 
-Just in case. But don't worry. I'll see you later, bye.- he said putting on his coat, adjusting it and leaving the flat.
I waited for him to get in a cab and I immediately ran outside, stopped a cab and told the man to follow him.
After a few minutes Sherlock's cab stopped, and mine stopped too.
"Why did he go in a damn swimming pool at this time?" I thought, following him, trying to not be seen by him.