⚠️ • | Chapter Fifty-Four | • ⚠️

{ ⚠️ Trigger Warning: Violence ⚠️ }

| 3:50 PM. . .

CLANG!

Aiyana jumped back just before the flag hit the ground and her cheeks puffed up in frustration as she blew out a whiff of air. Riley stood a few feet away, remembering years back when she first did guard and the times she would often mess up or cower back after tossing the flag in the air.

"You'll get the hang of it, no worries." She encouraged her with a smile as a cool breeze swept over them.

They stood outside near the almost-emptied student parking lot where Riley was helping one of the newer members of the team while Trent was inside going over one of the routines. She saw that Aiyana was really struggling and immediately offered to help.

The only downside was that she couldn't actually show her to do it correctly because of her wrist.

"When you toss the flag, don't take your eyes off it and don't be scared. As soon as you start catching it, it'll be a piece of cake."

Aiyana nodded and grabbed the flag again, doing as Riley instructed her to do. As the flag flipped twice in the air and came back down, she kept her eyes on the spinning pole before taking a deep breath and reaching her hands out to catch it. It landed easily in the palm of her hands.

She shared a grin with Riley and did a little happy dance, resulting in a laugh.

"Finally. I thought Trent was eventually gonna tear my head off because I kept missing the catch." She sighed. "Thanks, Riley."

She softly smiled with a shrug. "No problem. And when you toss, make sure your free hand is straight down by your side. He'll get onto you about that, too."

Aiyana nodded. "Okay, I'll keep that in my mind."

"RILEY." That familiar, petrifying voice boomed, and it instantly made her heart plummet to the bottom of her stomach. Her mind began racing a mile a second. How long had she been out here?

She looked over her shoulder at Javen and she could see anger clearly written all over his face.

"Who's that?" Aiyana uneasily asked, noticing the pure expression of fear on Riley's face. "Do you know him?"

"Yeah." She barely said above a whisper, not sure if her mindset wanted her to run to safety or face the possible consequences of what Javen had planned.

"Do you need me to get Trent?" Aiyana continued to ask, already slightly backing away toward the opened doors of the band room.

"No, don't. I-it's fine." Riley forced a smile upon her face. "I'll just see you guys later."

Barely even a step toward him, Javen already had his hand wrapped firmly around her other wrist and roughly jerked her toward his parked car. Despite what Riley said, Aiyana hurried inside and got Trent's attention.

"So you think you can do whatever you want now, huh?" Javen questioned her, practically having her stumble behind him. "I have half a mind to throw you against this pavement and beat the fuck out of you."

Riley stared at him in fear and bewilderment as he stopped by the passenger side door and jerked it open.

"Get in." He ordered her, his tone seeping with heavy anger.

Though every inch of her body was shaking, her voice was firm. "No."

A humorless smile suddenly cracked across his face and he chuckled. "No? Did you just tell me, no?" He asked as he began laughing instead. "You must've forgotten who you're dealing with, Riley. Get the fuck in the car."