Chapter 21

Unedited 01/112021

  "Hi, you are early." He greeted her, drinking in her natural beauty.
  "Not as early as you are, and you have goodies."
  "I hope you are hungry."
  "I did not eat before I came, so you don't have to worry about it going to waste."

  "We'll have a seat and help yourself." They both sat and help themselves to whatever they wanted from the basket.

  "This place is beautiful," Jesreen admired the meadow laying out before her while she was eating.

She was wondering as she had been wondering the entire morning, where to start. She was still not sure, so she started somewhere.

  "As I told you before, my parents and I can to the End of Sumner Fest before. My parents loved the area. Not only because of the festival, but they also love the calm family environment. They saw it as a great place to raise a family."

  "A couple of weeks after our second visit, my father was called to go serve in Iran. It was difficult for my family. A few months after he went over, he wrote to us telling us he will be home on leave soon. We were so excited to see him."

  "Two days after got the letter, my mother and I were at home making plans," she smiled. She looked as if she was in a trance as if only her body was there, but not her mind.

"We planned to go shopping," she continued.
  "We were going to get matching dresses; we were going to do a welcome home decoration at home and make a beautiful welcome home placard together to carry to meet him."
  "We were discussing all the things the family will be doing after Dad gets some rest when we heard a knocking on the door."

  "Mom went to the door with the brightest smile, I can see her smile right now," she smiled. The saddest smile Kevin had ever seen.
  "Two men were at the door; they delivered the news no family wanted to get. My father was...." She stopped.

She could not repeat the word. After all these years, it hurts every time she remembers that day. Even though she knew they were wrong for more than a year, it still hurts.

Kevin wanted to hold her in his arms, but he knew she was fighting to hold it together and he knew if he touched her, she would lose it.

Apart from him wanting to let her know she did not have to worry about telling him, he also knew she has to talk about it to move on with her life.

He knew that was only half of the story and he breached himself to hear how her mother died.

  "My mother was devastated, the man she loves was gone. She was alone except for her seven years old baby. You see, my mother was in the country illegally."

  "When they first meet, she did not tell him. Not long after, they had me. She did not tell him until long after, he decided he was going to marry her, but she was called for duty."

  "He still wanted to marry her, but she told him she would not marry him until he came back from Iran, so he better come back to her alive because she was waiting on him to marry her. So, she was an illegal immigrant and then became a single parent."

  "About five years after, she meets someone else. She had two children with him. They decided to marry but never get around to it. I don't think my mother wanted to marry him; I think she was still in love with my father."

  "She was always telling me stories about him. Whenever she talks about him, she was so happy. It was almost as if he was still here."

  "Last year she bought the house I now live in. I don't know how she gets the paper works done. Whenever I asked her, she always told me she has friends."

  "I remember the day she came home after buying the house. She was over the moon, she told me the last time we were down here for the festival she and Dad were admiring the house. She saw an ad that it was for sale."

  "When she came home, she told me, my small brother and sister, we will be moving in a few weeks. She said we will be going to the festival every year as my father wanted. That day, all she talked about was my father." Jesreen stopped to get something to drink.

A/N

Thanks to all my readers and voters.

I hope you are enjoying this book as much as I am.

Don't hold back on the comments.

Be safe out there ♥♥♥♥.