To Conquer a Mountain

~~Evelyn Dayne~~

The men all whisper and wait as the woods surrounding the old keep of Harrenhal stands wearily and deathly silent in the background. The only things we found inside where rotting corpse and other ravangings left behind by Tywin Lannister.

"It's about fucking time the bastards are actually coming at us."

One of my officers, Williams, whispers in excitement.

"It's a good thing Robb routed him, forcing the Mountain east."

"Right onto our doorstep."

I whisper with a smile and continue waiting. We're only a hundred yards from the Harrenhal keep, in the thick woods and brush around it. It's quite dark out, despite it being still daylight, but hardly any sun. Low visibility for them on their horses while we assault them quickly like a snake's strike.

We wait. Half the battle is usually the wait. I've grown used to it but there never really is such a thing as growing used to it.

Ashara wags her tail as I brush my hand through silver fur, smiling slightly while keeping my eyes west.

"What do you think? Do you think we'll finally be given a real challenge?"

Ashara just eyes me and seemingly nods, wagging her tail and I chuckle lightly, feeling amused.

"I think we shall see."

More waiting. But within an hour, I watch as men on horseback and on foot approach. As they get closer and closer on the road, I see that the Lannister men look exhausted. Bloodied and battered clothes and armor, some missing several pieces while others are severally wounded.

My eyes slightly widen and I now feel hesitant. These men will be butchered. They probably know we're out here. And with the Blackfish causing chaos in the Riverlands for them, their numbers are stretched to the breaking point.

I don't know how much longer Tywin can keep paying to keep this war going.

I look towards the front of the marching men, seeing a huge man riding on horseback.

Ser Gregor Clegane. The Mountain.

And he looks pissed. His armor and clothes are covered in blood but he looks like he hasn't got a scratch. But more than anything, the fucker is angry.

Hesitantly drawing my sword, I immediately stand, raising it in the air.

"Attack!"

Instantly, my army comes out of their hiding spots and immediately dash to the road, catching the Lannister forces off guard. I dash out with Ashara in tow. Getting to the fighting, I raise my sword and slash it right across a man's neck, slicing his throat.

Another man falls and then another. Dozens of Lannister men fall to the ground but some of those men that are falling are my own. I think that's one of the hardest things I've learned as Commander: people die no matter how hard you try to keep them alive.

The fighting continues for some time, some men almost getting lucky with their sword strokes but it wasn't enough. Soon, the Lannister forces mostly lay dead on the muddied and bloodied ground.

Ser Gregor stands on a small pile of corpses, swinging his sword around and around awkwardly and angrily all at the same time.

I step over several bodies as the men watch him twirl around like a drunk giant.

"Ser Gregor."

I say, catching his attention. His eyes are filled with hate and he looks even more pissed off.

"Even for your crimes against the people of the Riverlands and for your very existence, I will only ask this once: surrender peacefully."

Ser Gregor just spits on the ground towards my direction and I shake my head.

"Very well."

I draw my second blade, pointing one of them directly at the giant man.

"Come then."

He shouts angrily and charges at me with his greatsword swinging. I block several blows that nearly knock me off my feet. He's strong. Very strong.

But he's too slow. His swings are awkward. Maybe against an inexperienced fighter he'd actually seem like a mountain, but I only see a man that can bleed in so many spots.

I nick his are, his legs, then finally his chest. I effortlessly move around in the mud whilst he slips and stumble in it. Due to the blood loss and pain, the Mountain finally drops to one knee in exhaustion.

I step towards him, pressing the tip of my sword against his neck.

My men cheer all around me as they raise their swords and spears in chant.

"Evelyn! Evelyn! Evelyn!"

A few of my officers including Lady Mormont step close to me.

"We've captured almost 100 men. The other 300 have been killed."

I nod.

"How many did we lose?"

I ask and Lady Mormont sighs heavily, just looking at me a little grim.

I sigh, looking back to the broken Mountain.

"They need to understand what it is to lose men. Understand that buying men to fight for you doesn't win you a war."

I knock the Mountain down, catching a painful grown from his as my men watch me move behind him.

"To the false knight, Gregor Clegane, I do not grant you a warriors death. A retched man shall be met with no sympathy or sorrows. For your crimes, I sentence you to death."

"Dayne piece of-"

I bring my sword up high before bringing it down as hard as I can, cutting his head off with one clean swing.

I breathe hard, returning my sword to it's scabbard on my waits before turning to Lady Mormont.

"Send his body to King's Landing. Remind them that if they send more men out here, they will be returned in a box."

I look back at the Mountain before spitting. I snap my fingers, catching Ashara's attention and begin walking away from the battlefield.

~~~~~
A/N

So boom, Evelyn kills the Mountain. I get that right now the story might be a bit fast passe but I'm writing it the way I am and I hope you enjoy.

If you have any suggestions or ideas, please let me know. I love feedback!

Thank you for reading!