Chapter 6 - Test Results

The next day Nomi sat in the mess hall when Tarik entered. She wondered if he had passed the test or not. His body language didn't give any indication about the outcome. The alien saw his friend and approached her. His wings laid flat against his back and his expression was unreadable. Tarik sat down at the table. The young woman looked expectantly at him, waiting patiently for him to speak. But it seemed that Tarik wanted to try her patience, since he poured a mug of caf and took a sip of the hot liquid.
"Ah, right what I needed, Nomi," he said, winked at her and leaned back on his seat.
Nomi had difficulties staying patient and tapped her fingers on the tabletop. Tarik grinned seeing this and took another sip of caf, before he answered his friend's unvoiced question.
"I've passed the test."
Nomi smiled at him.
"Congratulations, Tarik. So you will fly with Rogue Squadron under Commander Antilles?"
The alien nodded his head.
"I'm pretty sure you'll pass the test as well, Nomi," he took another sip of caf. "It was a hard test, but doable. Commander Antilles said that he's eager to see you in the simulator."
Nomi chuckled.
"As he said, the squadron is in desperate need of pilots." She leaned back in her seat as well. "I hope the medics will give it a go soon. You can't imagine how much I want to be in the squadron Biggs was."
Tarik took another sip of caf, before he reacted. He knew how much his friend had liked her late cousin and that his death was the reason she joined the Alliance.
"Yes, I know," the winged alien responded, wondering what Nomi might do if she wouldn't pass the test. Oh he was sure she would pass, but there was still the possibility.

More and more pilots were entering the mess hall, laughing and chatting with each other. Some of them were looking over to the two friends. It was clear that they knew already about the new addition to the ranks of Rogue Squadron. Nomi looked over to the pilots and sighed. She would have given everything to be one of them. Tarik noticed where she peeked at and nudged her.
"Hey, you'll be one of them soon, Nomi."
"Of course she will, Tarik," Wedge Antilles said. He had approached them without being noticed, pulled a chair over and sat down at the table without being asked to.
Tarik rose and gave a sloppy salute, which the commander acknowledged with a grin. He set no great store by formalities. Antilles looked over to Nomi as he poured a mug of caf.
"I'm just coming from the med bay and the medics gave it a go if it comes to the simulator test, Ms. Darklighter," he said and took a sip of caf. "If you want I can conduct the test today."
The young woman beamed and suppressed the urge to hug the commander out of joy.
"This would be great, Commander," she responded and cast a glance at Tarik, who smiled at her.
"Good, then come with me," Wedge said and stood up from his seat.
Nomi stood up likewise, winked at Tarik and followed Antilles out of the mess hall. Tarik watched them leave with a wide smile before he took another sip of his caf, leaning back on his seat.

On their way to the simulator room they passed several pilots who were looking curiously at the woman who walked at their CO's side. One of them stopped and addressed the commander.
"So you found another candidate for your squad, Wedge?" The man asked with a lopsided grin and cast a glance at Nomi.
"Indeed, Derek. Derek Klivian...Nomi Darklighter, she's Biggs' cousin," the leader of Rogue Squadron introduced the both to each other.
"Nice to meet you, Ms. Darklighter," Klivian inclined his head. "So you will fly with us soon?"
"If she passes the test, Derek, we're just on our way to the simulators," Antilles answered the question, before Nomi was able to do so.
"Oh, then I won't delay you any longer," the young pilot said and went out of the way.

It didn't take long until the commander and Nomi reached the simulator room. The young woman took a deep breath before she entered the room. Her heart was pounding like mad.
"Right over there is the ready room where you can change into a flight suit," Antilles said pointing at a door. "In the meantime I'll program the simulator."
He walked over to the machine which vaguely resembled an X-wing, as Nomi entered the ready room. She looked around and saw a flight suit hanging from a rack, gloves and a helmet which were obviously meant for her to wear. With trembling hands she undressed, took the unfamiliar garment and slipped in. Then she donned straps, belt and chest box. With the helmet under her arm she left the room and walked over to the commander who waited for her at the simulator.
"Ready to go?" Antilles asked and opened the simulator's hatch.
Nomi nodded her head, donned the helmet, climbed in and buckled up. After a quick survey of the console and its controls she realized that they were very similar to those of a T-16 Skyhopper she was used to back then on Tatooine. She gave the hand sign for all clear. The commander closed the hatch and started the program.
The young woman concentrated on the task at hand, taking the yoke in a firm grip and putting her feet on the rudder. The first wave of TIE fighters came toward her and it looked very real.
She avoided being hit and went in a steep climb, but she was still tailed by a TIE which fired a barrage at her X-wing. The shields were holding, but were down at 80%. Nomi swore inwardly and diverted energy from the front to the rear deflector shields, while going in a corkscrew to shake her pursuer. She succeeded and the hunter became the prey. After she turned her fighter, she got a lock on the former pursuer and fired. The laser beam went right through the TIE's cockpit and the fighter exploded in a fireball. Without hesitation Nomi picked the next target. A quick glance at the readouts showed her that the shields were back to full strength.

Unnoticed by the former smuggler, the members of Rogue Squadron gathered in the room. Klivian had spread word that Biggs' cousin was about to take his place. Antilles watched every movement, every maneuver carefully at the monitor, his arms folded in front of his chest. He hadn't expected that he would see such an excellent performance. His pilots were obviously impressed as well, as their comments and remarks told him.
The program ended after the last TIE was shot down. Nomi unbuckled, opened the hatch, climbed out of the simulator and removed the helmet. Wedge stood amidst his pilots and smiled at her.
"Welcome in the ranks of Rogue Squadron," he said under his pilots' cheering. "Tomorrow I'll show you the fighter you will be assigned to and your astromech."
"Thank you, Sir," Nomi answered and then she was surrounded by her new comrades, who were eager to get to know her.