chapter 22, 'Be my bridesmaid,'

7th May 1919, Small Heath Birmingham

Libby was currently lying in Tommy's bed trying to get some more sleep after last night's event but there was a consent bang coming from Ada's room like she was through everything around and Libby had finally had enough of it.

"Ada, what are you doing?" Libby asked, slightly pissed off that her sleep had been disturbed.

"Oh, Libby. Hi, I'm just getting dressed." Ada answered back far too fast.

"Cos that's what it looks like," Libby said sarcastically. Ada was in a wedding dress with her expensive jewellery on, so there was no way  she was just getting ready. "Are you going to marry Freddie?" The question was rhetorical because of course Ada was marrying Freddie, she was pregnant with his child.

"Yes." Ada looked down as Libby laughed. "What?"

"Go, you Ada. Marry Freddie and if my dad has a problem with it, tell him to shove his opinion up his arse."

"Libby?"

"Yes, Ada," Libby answered sceptically, she had a feeling she wasn't going to like what Ada was going to say but had a feeling she was going to go along with it anyway.

"Will you be my bridesmaid?" Ada had such a look of hope in her eyes that Libby just couldn't say no.

"Yes, Ada. I will be your bridesmaid."

"Yess," Ada squealed quietly, "Okay so I was going to get you from school and ask if you would so I took the liberty of buying you a bridesmaid dress yesterday."  Ada had pulled out a beautiful light blue dress that ended just above Libby's knees.

"Okay, I'll go put this on," Libby whispered.

Sneaking out of the house had to be the hardest thing Libby had done since she came to Birmingham. She and Ada wouldn't exactly say that they were just nipping out so Ada could get married to Freddie but it would be okay because Libby would be back in time for Polly's casserole. She had resorted to sneaking out through the bathroom window, climbing down the drainpipe then walking along the top of the back garden wall only to jump off at the end before they would make a run for it down the street to meet Freddie at the cut.

Ada was running slightly ahead of Libby so when they finally reached Freddie Libby was covered by Ada.

"Ada, what the hell," Freddie exclaimed see Ada running from Blinder territory in her wedding dress.

"I dared myself to run through their territory in my dress and look Libby agreed to be my bridesmaid," Ada's happiness was radiating off her and Libby was happy so no one deserved it more than her.

"You alright Libby," Freddie asked. He was thankful that Libby had come today as her mother had promised she would watch Freddie get married someday.

"Yeah, I'm alright," Libby replied slightly out of breath.

"Ada, are you mad?" Freddie asked, turning his attention back on Ada.

"Yeah, mad as hell with all of them," Ada replied, her smile not once leaving her face.

"I love you," Freddie announced, kissing Ada gently.

"I love you too," Ada Said back, "And the more they try to stop us the madder I'll be."

"Come on princess, the vicars waiting," Freddie said, grabbing Ada's hand, leading her to the church.

"Wait, how do I look?" Ada asked, smiling even more.

Looking her up and down, Freddie smiled, "Like an angel,"

The wedding ceremony was beautiful and even brought a small tear to Libby's eyes. It was clear to see that Freddie and Ada loved each other very much and Libby just hoped she could find someone who loved her as much as Freddie loved Ada.

"You alright," Tommy asked Polly as he and James came into the kitchen.

"Are you armed?" Polly asked.

"No," Tommy answered as he and James sat down at the kitchen table.

"Alright, then I'll tell you," After a long pause, Polly continued, "Today Ada and Freddie Thorne were married and your daughter was there to witness it. They have defied your orders and haven't left the city."

Tommy didn't say anything, just sighed.

"I'll deal with it," Polly said. "Thomas, I'll deal with it," Polly repeated, trying to keep Tommy calm.

"Where are they, and I mean Freddie and Ada?" Tommy was furious and James knew Libby was in shit when she finally decided to make an appearance again.

"Freddie comrades have safe houses all over, why do you want to know?" Polly asked, wanting to make sure Tommy wouldn't do anything rash.

"I Want to send them flowers, why do you think?" Tommy snapped back harshly.

"Would it be so bad if they stayed?" Polly asked.

"I Promised I'd run Freddie out of town," Tommy finally admitted.

"Promised who?" Polly asked, not wanting him to say, Inspector Campbell.

"The copper, Pol. Look, don't worry about it, just get Freddie out of town before I do."

As Libby was on her way back to the house to face her dad when she walked into a large chest.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going," Libby said, looking up to see who she had bumped into.

"It's alright babe," Lewis replied. Libby had been on edge around him since their last encounter which left bruises on her arm. "Why don't we go to the picture tomorrow night, me and you?"

"No, I was just going to stay to help look after my younger cousins, I haven't seen them in a little while." This was of course a lie. Libby had just babysat for John two days ago and had seen her little cousins again yesterday morning, however, the last thing she wanted to do was spend time alone with someone who frightened her so much.

Grabbing Libby's arm again in the same place he had last time, Lewis dragged her into a side alleyway, pressing her back against the cold, hard wall.

"Do you not remember what I said last time, Libby?" Lewis hissed in her ear.

"I, I, erm.." Libby stuttered, being frozen in fear.

Wrapping his free hand around her neck, "You don't stutter, speak properly," Lewis demanded, tightening his grip on her arm and neck.

"Yeah, I remember," Libby whispered meekly, trying to pull his hand away from her neck.

"Good, so I'll see you tomorrow outside the pictures at 5 and I swear to god Libby, if you're not there you don't even know what I'll do to you when I get my hands on you and trust me I will," Lewis threatened, pushing Libby's head against the wall and removing his hand from her airways before walking away.

Libby watched with fear in her eyes as Lewis walked away. She collapsed to the floor and sobbed. She was breathing quickly but she just couldn't catch her breath, shaking and crying. Libby knew she was about to have a panic attack.

Kneeling down with her hands on her head Libby started to vomit, she was worried sick.

A gentle and familiar hand started to rub her back. "Hey it's okay Libbys, Just breathe," John spoke out in a calming way.

"J, J, John," Libby sobbed as John pulled her into his chest, rubbing circles on her back.

"Shh, Shh, Shh. I've got you, darling, I've got you. Nobody is gonna hurt you, just calm down, love." John soothed.

Collapsing into John's chest, Libby's sobs became muffled as she started to close her eyes, exhausted from last night with Tommy and her latest encounter with Lewis.

A/N:

Okay so this was a long chapter and I hate Lewis.

Thank you all so much for reading, see ya next week.

-------- Jane