Past: Concord, Massachusetts: 1861

Concord, Massachusetts: 1861

The five March sisters were piled in one room preparing or watching as the two eldest, 16-year-old Meg and 15-year-old Jo, prepared for the dance.

Beth was sitting on her bed, quietly watching her sisters. Amy was combing and braiding Andy's hair into an elegant crown braid. Jo was concentrating on curling Meg's hair with a heated curling rod.

"I know exactly who I want to dance with" Meg sat as still as she could while Jo held a heated rod to her head.

Like always the room was filled with multiple conversations happening at the same time.

Meg was insisting on wearing her old shoes simply because they looked better, Jo was trying to convince Meg to wear her more comfortable shoes, Beth mentioned wanting to hear the music played during the dance, Andy trying to persuade Jo to bring back snacks, while Amy complained about wanting to go.

Finishing up with braiding Andy's hair Amy attempted to combed Jo's tangled hair, "Now Jo"

Immediately rejecting her sister's attempt at taming her hair Jo shook her hair, "Don't touch me thanks. I already feel ridiculous. I don't wanna look it"

Andy immediately chirped, "you'll look even more ridiculous if you don't bring back snacks"

Amy insisted "you could be pretty if you tried"

Meg sighed amused, "it would look bad if we take home food from the dance"

Jo stubbornly replied "Don't want to. Won't do it"

As the observant one, Beth immediately noticed one of her more vocal sisters turned quiet. Andy was now furiously rifling through her chest of clothes. Looking away, she immediately saw the rising smoke. "Are they to smoke like that?"

Jo insisted that "it's the dampness drying"

Amy sat on the floor by Andy's side leaning her whole weight on her twin's back, "what a queer smell, it's like burnt feathers"

Jo was convinced she was doing Meg's hair right "I'll take this off and you'll see a perfect ringlet...AAGGHH!"

Meg immediately stood mortified seeing a clump of her hair on the curling rod, "AAAHHH!!!"

Andy and Amy stared at the back of Meg's head partially amused and shocked.

Beth commented, confused "Why is your hair off?"

Jo looked very remorseful, "Meg I'm so sorry!"

The twins piled on each other guffawing as the chaos unfolded, "Hahahahaha!"

Marmee thankfully managed to salvage the situation as the rest of the March sisters went downstairs to prepare to leave for the dance

Meanwhile, alone upstairs Andy was preparing for a different trip. Tucking her shirt into a pair of trousers she grabbed from her chest and tightened a rucksack on her back.