Present: Paris: 1869

Paris: 1869

Laurie lazily lolls on the grass of the beautiful estate, while Amy sketches him.

Peace has settled over them, after their heart to heart the previous day they were friends again.

Amy decided that it was long overdue that she gives the white envelope addressed to Laurie from her twin along with the drawing Andy made that day on the beach.

Amy gives him a hard time, playfully nudging the young man, "Laurie, when are you going back to your grandfather?"

Laurie hummed, "Very soon."

Amy scoffed, "You've said that a dozen times in the past month."

Laurie snorted, "Short answers save trouble."

Amy continued as she focused on her sketch, "He expects you, so why don't you do it?"

Laurie replied, "Natural depravity, I suppose."

Amy rolled her eyes, "Natural indolence, you mean."

Lauri laughed, "I'll only plague him if I go, so I might as well stay and plague you a little longer."

Sitting up Laurie reaches over to squish Amy's face to keep her from continuing her lecture.

Amy just slaps his arm away.

Laurie observes Amy's face, seeing the comforting face of Andy's over hers, "You can bear it

Laurie observes Amy's face, seeing the comforting face of Andy's over hers, "You can bear it. In fact, I think it agrees with you."

Amy notices the stare, "What are you doing?"

Laurie smiles, "Looking at you."

Amy shook her head exasperated, "No, I mean what do you intend. To do."

Laurie shrugged, "Oh you mean with life?"

"Yes"

Laurie thought of a reply that wouldn't circle back to her lecturing, "I've been writing an opera, I'd be the central figure-"

"That's a waste of time." Amy interrupted.

The two stared each other down, "What would you have me do?"

Laurie leaned away slouching on the picnic blanket.

Amy answered, "Go back and work for your grandfather and make something of yourself."

Laurie grumbled standing up with no intent to listen to being lectured once more, "Not playing fair"

Amy watched Laurie walk around and decided it was time.

She handed her sketch with her twin's drawing tucked behind it, "Here"

Laurie smiled at the rough sketch pulling out another drawing from behind it.

The paper has yellowed with age. It was a portrait of his face with his eyes painted the same shade he would see in the mirror.

On the bottom of the artwork was signed 'Andrea March' with a small drawing of a rose.

Amy carefully watched his stoic expression, "Andy made that on the day of the beach"

Laurie remained still and silent observing the delicate pencil strokes on the paper.

Amy continued, "She spent the whole day trying to replicate the color of your eyes"

Laurie wordlessly handed her the drawing. Amy furrowed her brows when Laurie didn't flip through the last papers to the white envelope tucked underneath.

Laurie tried to change the subject, "Where's Fred?"

"He's in London on business. He'll be back in a few weeks" Amy untucked the envelope and placed it in front of the drawings.

She watched Laurie pace in front of her.

He then turned to face her, "Do you think if I asked her to marry me she'll say yes?"

A heavy feeling settled in Amy's stomach, "Who-"

Laurie stepped forward, "Andy"

"No...no..." Amy backed away, hugging the envelope to her chest.

"Laurie you're being mean." Amy's heart broke for her twin sister.

"What? How am I being mean"

Laurie reached for the papers she was holding, Amy just slapped his hand away.

"Stop it. Stop it!"

Amy huffed heart aching for her twin, "Andy has been second to Jo her whole life in everything and I will not her be the person you settle for just because you cannot have Jo

Amy huffed heart aching for her twin, "Andy has been second to Jo her whole life in everything and I will not her be the person you settle for just because you cannot have Jo. I won't let you, not when- not when she spent her entire life loving you!"

Amy slapped the papers on Laurie's chest and walked away.

Laurie watched her leave. Finally looking down at the white envelope that fell through his hands.

He knelt to pick it up, turning to the familiar handwriting on the back with a familiar drawing of a rose.

Andy always signed off with a rose.