Present: Venice, Italy, Ship Loading Docks: 1869

Venice, Italy, Ship Loading Docks: 1869

The sailors and passengers stole furtive glances at a young woman who stood in front of the deck of the ship.

She was an odd sight. Wearing an all-black outfit from head to toe. Black gloves, a black high-low dress showcasing black trousers underneath, and a black hat draped in black lace and ribbons.

(Imagine this in black)

An elegant young woman was dressed in such dark colors

An elegant young woman was dressed in such dark colors. What a waste of beauty.

A young couple also dressed in black approached the dark-clad young woman.

"Sarà un viaggio veloce, signorina."

(It will be a fast trip, miss.)

The young woman glanced at the young man, "Grazie, Antonio"

(Thank you, Antonio)

Antonio nodded to his companion urging the shy young woman to talk, "Il signor Laurence aspetterà te e la tua famiglia. I biglietti per gli Stati Uniti sono pronti all'arrivo."

(Mister Laurence will be waiting for you as well as your family. The tickets for the United States are ready upon arrival.)

"Grazie, Sofia"

(Thank you, Sofia)

The couple stared at their employer's face filled with guilt.

They were ecstatic to work for such an accomplished entrepreneur especially with the fact that she was a young woman. So when a letter from Mr. Laurence arrived, with a plan to drag the young woman home, the busybody young couple planned.

The young Italian couple married regardless of their family's resistance which meant they were cut off from any support. Sofia was a seamstress and Antonio was a budding clothing designer.

Destitute was not far from the horizon but Miss Andrea held a hand to them and lifted them from poverty.

Despite only being an assistant, Miss Andrea imparted her skills and knowledge to the young couple as if they were her apprentices. And they would spend their life trying to repay her. Guaranteeing her happiness seems like a good start.

Andrea, fondly called 'Andy' to her loved ones, dreaded the trip. Many regrets passed through her mind.

She shouldn't have fought with Jo. She should have stayed. She should have visited home. She-

But there was no use regretting her past actions. Beth was dead and the last time she saw her was nearly 5 years ago.

A wrapped cannoli breached her view as Sofia held out the pastry, "Per favore, mangia questa signorina"

(Please eat this Miss.)

Andrea tearfully accepted. Taking a bite as tears invaded her palate.

She looked at her gloved left hand. Knowing that if she took it off there would be a jagged scar on her palm from that night so long ago.