Present: Paris: 1869

Paris: 1869

Andrea had her back against the side of the carriage, legs splayed across her seat, reading contracts upon contracts making sure she read every line and even the hidden words between the lines. Blindly signing contracts will make or break your business.

And business doesn't wait, even for a funeral.

"Perché non chiudi la porta, Antonio?"

(Why don't you close the door, Antonio?)

The Italian man held the carriage door just enough so it's not completely close but not wide open.

"Mi è stato detto che la serratura è difettosa. Se è chiuso non si apre."

(I was told that the lock is faulty. If it is closed it will not open.)

Antonio discreetly winked to his wife beside him.

"Hmmm" flipping to the next page, "Le altre carrozze per mia zia, mia sorella e il signor Laurence sono pronte?"

(Are the other carriages for my aunt, sister, and Mr. Laurence prepared?)

Sofia handed more paperwork to the young woman, "Sì, signorina. Le carrozze sono davanti a noi. Dovremmo arrivare presto in hotel per prendere i passeggeri."

(Yes, Miss. The carriages are ahead of us. We should arrive at the hotel to pick up the passengers soon.)

Andrea wiggled her stockinged foot in comfort. She wore the same type of clothing donned at the beginning of the trip: black gloves, a black high-low dress showing the black trousers underneath, and a black hat draped in black lace and ribbons. Her black heeled shoes are on the floor.

(Imagine this in black)

Andrea was too occupied to notice that the carriage had stopped and her companions climbed out

Andrea was too occupied to notice that the carriage had stopped and her companions climbed out. All her focus was on the thick stack of papers in her hand.

In the back of her mind, she heard the carriage door close, "Perché hai chiuso la porta? Pensavo avessi detto che era difettoso?"

(Why did you close the door? I thought you said it was faulty?)

Her question was met by silence.

"Antonio?"

"So you've been in Italy this whole time?" Laurie sat across from her. Eyes glued at the young woman in front of him.

Andy froze, holding her breath at the familiar voice she hasn't heard in so long. Foolishly thinking that if she doesn't acknowledge him Laurie would go away, she remained quiet.

"You've grown more beautiful Andy"

Closing her eyes. Andrea took a deep breath.

Slowly lowering the documents from her face.