25

The day didn't start very pleasantly for Aurora Downey. In fact, it started in the most horrible way it possibly could.

She woke up with a jolt at the crack of dawn, trying to break out of the beginning phases of a panic attack caused by the nightmare that she just escaped. As quietly as possible she crawled out of bed, careful not to wake Tom from his much needed sleep. She tiptoed downstairs to the kitchen and fetched herself a glass of water but it didn't seem to cease her shakiness. Toulouse was still knocked out in his rem sleep, cuddled up next to Tom but Bobby followed her and kept an eye on the girl that was basically his other parent by now.

Rory wiped the remaining tears off her face and rubbed her eyes in hopes of getting rid of the remnants of her fright, before walking into her spare room to retrieve the items that she stashed away in the closet.

That's how Aurora Downey ended up painting on the kitchen floor at 4:17 am.

She's been sitting on the hard tiles for a while, with a canvas in front of her and Bobby's little head resting on her thigh. She's lost in her thought as she skillfully applies the colors onto the canvas, bringing it to life instead of it's bleak and blank look.

She's so focused that she doesn't even notice Tom walking in, looking for her.

The one thing he didn't expect was to see her petite body curled up on the floor, her hair in a mess of bun, painting away like there's no tomorrow but that's exactly what he finds upon stepping into the kitchen.

"Well, add that to the list of things I didn't know you were wonderful at."

His raspy voice scares the living shit out of Aurora, to the point where she almost knocks over the glass of murky water that her brushes are sitting in. She shoots her head up with so much force upon hearing sound after such a long period of silence, nothing but the quietness of the night surrounding her up to this point. It's such a harsh contrast that it leaves her frightened once again, only for a different reason.

"Holy fuck, I think you legitimately gave me a mild heart attack." she gasps out as she takes in the sight of him.
Tom's leaning on the doorframe, arms folded in front of him, trying to hide his amusement after witnessing her reaction.

But his cheeky mood is quickly gone when he takes a better look at Aurora. The way she doesn't give any more reaction, just goes back to painting silently. The redness of her eyes, with dark shadows underneath or how she hugs one of her knees to her chest, trying to comfort herself. Strictly one leg though since the other is still occupied, being Bobby's pillow and all.

Tom doesn't say a word, just sits down next to her and watches how she's pouring her emotions out in art. After several minutes of silence though Aurora speaks up, barely over a whisper.

"My mom loved to paint."

"Really?" he asked gently.

"Yeah. We used to paint murals on the walls of the garage. That's what we used to do together. It was our special thing." she tells him.

"She sounds amazing."

"She was. It's a shame you couldn't meet her, she would have adored you."

Her mouth pulls into a soft but sad smile and she struggles to keep a tear from escaping again.

"I don't like how upset you look right now."

Aurora couldn't lie to Tom if she wanted to. She is upset right now.

She's upset because her thoughts got the better of her again. She's upset because Tom had to see her fall apart again. And she's upset because she fears that he'll grow tired of having to put her back together. Again.

"Don't worry about it. It was just a bad dream, I'll get over it." she tries to make sure to sounds like it's not a big deal.

It's unnecessary though, since Tom knows just exactly how much a nightmare can affect her. Especially one involving her mom, which he assumes is the case.
He's great at reading her emotions, which she hates at times like this.

He just looks at her expectantly, waiting for Rory to be honest about the way she feels.

"I'm sorry." she whispers and drops her head in shame "I hate you keep seeing me like this, I'm a mess. And I'm so scared I'm going to do something to lose you Tom. You'll get bored of this and I can't blame you for it." she sighs defeatedly.

He stands up and holds his hand out to her and she looks at it for a moment, then glances up to his face in question. He just extends his hand further and she takes it, letting his larger ones pull her up from the hard floor.

"Don't apologize. Dance the sad away with me." he mumbles.

"This is a kitchen..." she whispers but quickly breaks out in a giggle when after a few taps on the screen of his phone, Harry James's 'It's Been a Long, Long Time' sounds up from the speaker.

Tom knows very well how Aurora always cries watching that scene, and her heart just about melts about the idea of them recreating Steve and Peggy's special moment.

"You just have to treat it like a dance floor darling." he replies with a grin "So what do you say? Dance with me?"

It's funny how he asks it like there's an option here, since Rory's already being spun around before he pulls her tight into his chest.

In that moment, Aurora is more grateful than ever for having him in her life. The genuine love she feels towards this man is incomprehensible, even for her sometimes.

"Music makes me think of you." he tells her as they continue to sway to the soft melodies.

"What kind of music?" she asks, eyes closed, with her head resting on his chest.

"Every kind. All types of harmonies and lyrics and instruments. They just remind me of you."

There's no way she couldn't smile. In Aurora's eyes, that's the most beautiful compliment she's ever gotten and yet one of the simplest ones too. Everyone loves music. Every single human being enjoys music in one way or another, and it's one of the most important and universal thing in Rory's life.

Tom has a way with his words and he knows it. Rory doesn't respond but he doesn't expect her to either.

How she snuggles into him harder tells him everything he needs to know as they continue to dance, barefoot on the kitchen floor at five in the morning.