Chapter 21

Jack had already been gone for about two weeks and I was miserable. I slept in his bed every night and came straight home after work to watch tv. I was depressed, to say the least.

I was currently laying on the couch underneath a blanket, attempting to cocoon myself in comfort. I was listening to music and staring at the ceiling. I felt numb.

I heard a knock on the door and hoped it would be Jack but knew better. I dragged myself up slowly and trudged over to the front door. I opened it without checking who it was.

Hayden came into my view and I just blinked.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I can feel how sad you are, so I wanted to check in."

I opened the door wider and gestured for him to come in, though I was indifferent about it all. He looked around for a few moments, then looked at me. I was already crawling back into my depression pouch.

"What happened here?" he asked as he came and sat by me.

"Jack left," I said flatly. I had started to feel numb about his leaving because it was too painful to be upset.

"Why?"

"I don't really know."

"And you're hurt by that?"

"I don't know... I'm sad." It was true. I was sad. But I wasn't able to feel my sadness because of the protective barriers my brain had put up.

He rested his hand on mine gently and his touch felt so familiar. Like I had known him for years.

"Maybe he got freaked out by me or something."

"About what?"

"Well, I grew wings in front of him, so there's that."

"You got your wings?!?!" Hayden exclaimed.

"Yeah.."

"Oh, good," he said as he pulled me into a hug.

I hugged him back and again felt so familiar around him.

"Hayden, I get this weird feeling around you sometimes. Do you know why?"

He grinned and searched my eyes. I wasn't sure what he was hoping to find.

"Do you not remember yet?"

"Remember what? Are you always going to be so cryptic?"

He grinned at me and looked so happy, which only confused me more. I felt something strange but I couldn't quite figure anything out. It was like it was on the tip of my brain. 

"C'mon, think Y/N. You know me," he encouraged.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, searching my brain for any memory of him. 

Then it came to me. Not everything, but a little. 

I remembered being in heaven with him. I saw small flashes of us. We were laughing with pure joy while flying amid gold, magical swirls. Then we were clutching each other's hands while looking down at the humans we had grown to love, trying to lead them on the right path. Then we were standing side by side, reuniting new souls with their loved ones who had been waiting for them patiently. 

He was my best friend, almost like a brother to me. We were close and we had known each other for a time that humanity couldn't comprehend.

I opened my eyes with a bewildered smile on my face. Now that I remembered him, I felt excited to see him. I threw my arms around him and hugged him tightly.