Chapter 3 : We Are Family

It had been a week since Manik had left for his business trip. Nandini knew he had purposely extended the trip to stay away from her.

That being said, Nandini did not stop visiting and catering to Nyonika, who was not aware of the problems between her son and daughter-in-law.

One day, Nandini was dropping Naitik to school as Manik wasn't there. After dropping him off, she received a call from the hospital.

"What? Doctor, is there hope?"

"Okay."

"Yeah I know."

"Hmm...I understand."

"Thank you Doctor."

Nandini hung up and rested her head against the headrest.

'How did my life change in a month? How did I even land in such a situation?!' Nandini wondered to herself.

~~~~~

One year back.

Nandini saw three missed calls from an unknown caller after she came out of her song recording of her comeback album.

"Hello."

"Yes, this is she."

"Okay. What's the matter?"

"Wh-what?"

When Nandini hung up after the call, she immediately went to Manik.

"Manik, I just received a call...Nyonika is sick."

Manik, who was playing games on the phone, looked at her.

"What?"

"Stage 2 Cancer Manik!"

Manik looked back at the phone.

"Don't believe that crap Nandini. It's just a new trick. She's trying to use your weak point, your emotions, to manipulate you. Don't be naïve."

"Manik, it sounds serious!"

"Nandini, please. It's just her new drama. Ugh, I should put her behind bars again." Manik said.

"Manik-"

"Nandini please. Tum phir shuru mat ho jao. Agar itna hi concern hai, toh jao uske paas. Lekin yaha mat aana. It's either her or me." Manik said, getting up from the bed and leaving the room.

~~~~~

She immediately dialled a number and hit the call button.

"Hello beta."

"Hey Dad."

-----

Shrikant was in the car with Pallavi on their way to Mumbai. Pallavi looked at a lost Shrikant.

"Kya soch rahe hain aap?" Pallavi asked.

"Hm?"

"Nyonika ji ke baare main?" Pallavi asked.

"Haan...yeh sab..achanak.."

"Life is unpredictable, Shri."

"Yeah. I can't even imagine how Manik must be feeling. Nandini was crying over the phone, Pallavi. It was heartbreaking." Shrikant expressed himself.

Nandini and Shrikant bonded well over the years. He treated her like a daughter and pampered her and it was really depressing to see her in pain.

"He'll come around. Manik cannot be that heartless. Maa hai vo uski." Pallavi said.