Chapter 70

On Saturday, the Slytherin Quidditch team had gathered in the field early in the morning to practice for their upcoming match against Gryffindor which was to be held in a month. They had the Quidditch pitch to themselves for three hours before having to empty the place for the Gryffindors' practice session.

     After three tiring hours of practice, Diana left the field with Regulus. Unlike their teammates who took showers in the locker rooms and changed there, Diana and Regulus rather do it in their own dorms, seeing as it was cleaner, less crowded, and more quiet.

     There was also another reason as to why Diana wanted to head back to her dorm; she had recently borrowed a book from the library about magical creatures and wanted to read it peacefully in the silence of her own room.

     Ever since she had talked to Remus, Diana had decided to do a bit of reading regarding werewolves, in hopes of understanding him and his condition.

      It wasn't easy forgetting all that she'd been taught by her parents for sixteen years, and in order to relearn it all, she had to start over. The books in her father's library which she had read years ago only told about the horrors that these dark creatures had brought people throughout centuries.

     But in the new book she was reading, Diana learnt about the pain that each transformation brought the werewolf, and that they had to break each bone in their bodies on every full moon. She also learnt that a person had to be bitten by another werewolf only during full moon in order to become a werewolf as well, which made Diana wonder how and when Remus had been bitten.

      "Today's practice was terrible," Regulus started crankily as the two of them made their way out of the Quidditch pitch with their brooms in hand and their green robes still on. "I was horrible. Didn't even manage to catch the Snitch once during practice."

       "I suppose you've been a bit distracted lately," said Diana, looking at him sideways.

       "No, I haven't," Regulus retorted, frowning stubbornly .

       "Look, it's completely normal to not feel okay. I know it must be tough at home, ever since —"

      "Ever since my stupid brother ran off?" Regulus cut her off with a bitter scoff.

      Diana was quiet for a while, walking alongside him in silence as she observed the troubled look across his face. She then said softly, "You know you can talk to me, right?"

     Regulus let out a sigh, his frown deepening as he muttered, "I had a fight with him the other day."

     "You did?"

     "Yeah... I was on my way to class when I saw him. I — I might have said some things that I didn't mean..."

     "Like what?"

     "I might've told him that... that he abandoned me and that he was no longer a brother of mine," Regulus mumbled.

     "Oh..." Diana bit her lower lip. "I'm really sorry to hear that. Maybe... maybe things will work out in the future between the two of you."

     "That's it? You're not going to crack a joke and make fun of me?" Regulus grinned at her teasingly.

      "Of course not. Why would you think I'd do something like that?"

     "Dunno... you've just changed, that's all." He shrugged.

      "Changed? How so?"

     "I know I've only known you for a year, but — I don't know — you've got nicer, I suppose."