26.

One Year Later 

"Halliwell!" A whistle was blown, echoing around the gym. "Pick up the pace!"

Mya turned around as she jogged backwards. "I'm saving my energy for the real tryouts Coach!"

"This is tryouts!" Coach shook the clipboard in his hands.

Mya threw her head back in laughter as she turned around and continued to run around the gym with the other girls trying out for Volleyball. 

They spent hours in the gym, running drills, practicing serving the balls, jumping down to the floor to save the ball. 

Mya loved the sport, it was a trill as her eyes zoned it. Jumping up off the ground to hit the ball before it even crossed over to her side. 

The feeling of her knees hitting the floor as she dove down. The only thing protecting her being a thick layer of cushion. 

The way her arms burned with each hit. But it was a good burn, the type where she could feel exhilaration coursing through her with each save.

The soft speckles of sweat that came out of her body with each movement. 

There was nothing like the feeling of being on the court.

Or maybe there was... 

Maybe there was something better, maybe she had felt more before, but she could not return to that place anymore so she had to find joy in the place she was now.

The whistle blew again as Mya stopped her talking with another member of the team from last year as their couch signaled them over to them.

"Alright, you all did great today. I will have the list of the team up on by next Friday. So make sure you are checking your emails that day. And also remember, I am not going to respond to any of your emails because that makes me dislike you more," He clapped his hands once as all the girls whispered as they walked away. "Halliwell, a word."

Mya stopped her walk back to the locker room as she turned around, walking past everyone leaving to get back to their coach. "What's up?"

"Mya where was Lea today?" He asked as her face dropped a bit. "Now I don't know what's going on with her, but I'm worried. You two were my star players."

"Are you saying I didn't do good today?" Mya caught the past tense of his words. "Because my performance was better than everyone else."

"It's not your best, I've seen you play better," He gave her a look. "Your heads not in the game. I was hoping to make you team captain this year, but I wasn't seeing a captain out there. So be a leader for this team. I can't even ask you to get Lea back because her grades have slipped so much that she can't even be on the team this year."