Chapter 57

Once they were done with playing games, Peter went looking for a chemistry notebook so he and MJ could start learning for tomorrow's test. When he finally found it at the bottom of his backpack, he was glad Pepper wasn't here, or she would have reprimanded him for the crumpled look of the notebook.

He was about to leave his room when Friday said, "Your father is calling."

Peter frowned a little but told Friday to answer the call. "I'm fine!" He snorted. "It's not possible for you to be in the Maldives already, so why are you calling me from a plane? We agreed for you to call when you landed," he moaned. He knew they wanted to make sure nothing happened, but if they called him every five minutes, they wouldn't enjoy the honeymoon at all.

"Hello, my baby brother," came not his father's voice, but the girl's voice. "I'm glad to hear you're okay. Unfortunately, I can't take into account how well they take care of you."

Peter released the notebook. No one would cut his blood at the moment. He was completely shocked. He forgot how to talk or move. He stood still, trying not to faint.

"Why don't you say anything? It's a shock, I know," she said understandingly. "Okay, I'll talk until you recover a little. I still have to tell you so much! I thought about it a lot and decided that Richard was probably right. You're my little brother, I don't want to kill you. This whole idea of revenge was my mother's plan. And I've been doing what she wanted all my life, but now it's time for me to start realizing my own plans -"

"What did you do to my parents?!" he asked in a relatively quiet voice, but the tone he said sounded quite dangerous.

"Please don't interrupt me, I'll get to it. So, as I said, I'm on my plan now. Mom always said you wouldn't be like me. That Tony would stop you, and she was probably right, but don't worry. I will transform you into my image. We will be the same and we will be together. We will make up for all the common years that Mom deprived us of. Do you have any questions?"

"What did you do to my parents?!" he growled again. This was even worse than he expected. He'd much rather she wanted to kill him than this. He wasn't a fool. If he was to be the same as her, he must not have a family. Now everyone he cared about was in danger. And most of all his parents at the moment. He wanted to cry. If he hadn't forced them to go on their honeymoon, it wouldn't have happened. They would all be here together. In safety.

"Nothing so far. I took them on a trip. They're taking a nap right now," she told him innocently as if telling him that she had taken his parents to see the Statue of Liberty.

"Why are you calling me? You know I could locate you accordingly, right?"

"Petey, I have your father's plane and his suit. I'm sure you could locate me even if I didn't call you. Actually, I want you to locate me. I didn't have a chance to say goodbye to my mom, but I don't blame you because you didn't know about my existence. I'll give you the opportunity. Find me and come say goodbye to my parents. I'll give you time until tomorrow night."

"I can bring a team. You will lose," he told her incomprehensibly. Mary brainwashed her much more than he thought. Plus, he was beginning to feel that there was something else behind it. His stomach tightened anxiously at the thought.

"You will come alone if you want to say goodbye to them while they are still alive," she said warningly.

"You're sick!" Exclaimed Peter, who couldn't stand the idea. He couldn't stand the idea that his parents would die, nor that his sister might be mentally ill. He couldn't stand the idea that there was a chance that Mary was experimenting on her. What if it damaged her brain forever?

"I am not, but I understand why you think so. If you were raised like me, you would be the same," she sighed. "I'll see you tomorrow, brother."

"Wait!" He blurted out, but it was too late. The call is over.

"Find her for me, Friday," he told her, trying to keep his voice firm. He had to figure out what he was going to do, and he had to figure it out very quickly.

"You can't be serious!" Breathed the brown-haired girl standing in the door in disbelief.

Peter looked at her in surprise. "MJ! How long have you been standing there?" He wondered, not realizing at all that she was there. Which was really bad considering he had a sixth sense.

Michelle closed the door behind her so that no one could hear them and moved closer to him. "Almost from the beginning. Peter, you were right. She is ill. Obviously, it's not right in her head. You can't even think of going to her alone for a second!" She tried to make sense of him.

"But why is that? I can't believe that it didn't occur to me sooner... What if Mary did some experiments on her? It's not her fault -"

"We can't know that! Peter, I understand, she's your sister. I understand you want to save her, but not everyone can be saved. For the others, it worked because they decided to do good. It was their own choice," she explained slightly desperately. She didn't like this at all. She knew Peter too well to know she wouldn't talk sense to him, but she had to try. It was the only thing she could do.

"But she hasn't gotten that choice yet! She doesn't know what it's like to have a loving family. I'm the only thing left for her. I have to take care of her. I have to show her that we can be siblings without hurting anyone," he tried to explain to her again. "You can't tell anyone," he added.

"Are you crazy?! We definitely have to tell this to others! You can't go there alone. What if you -"

"She doesn't want to kill me," he interrupted.

"And we can trust her because...? This is crazy. Don't be mad at me, but you can't ask me to keep it to myself," she said in a firm voice that reminded him so much of his mother.

"Please," he whispered, giving her a puppy look.

•••

"I want to thank you for coming to us," Natasha said as she led Everett into Pepper's office. She wanted to keep her promise to Tony, but at the same time, she didn't want to leave Peter. Fortunately, the minister was willing to meet at the Starks' home.

"It was a small thing. And given the situation, it's completely understandable," he said with an understanding smile as they both sat down.

"I have a folder for you with the information we have, but don't get too excited, it's the thinnest folder I've ever seen," she told him, handing him the gray folder, which was indeed very thin.

"Is she really that good?" Everett sighed as he picked up the papers. "I told my former colleagues at the agency that the Avengers are working on it from now on. I wasn't wrong, was I?"

"Of course we are working on it. As you can see, it's personal. Ideally, we rely on us to detain her and hand her over to you so that you can transport her to Raft. Another prison is out of the question," she replied without emotion. Ideally, by her terms, she would be out now, looking for her and then getting rid of her for once and all.

"All right then, we'll keep in touch," he concluded, as they had nothing more to talk about. "I know you have a lot of technology at your disposal, but if you need anything, let me know. I'm currently negotiating with old friends from Wakanda, maybe something would come in handy," he added and stood up.

Natasha did the same and shook his hand in farewell. "I'll think about it," she assured him, escorting him out.