Chapter 43: Trust

Violet POV

The day went on like a blur. I don't remember much. I spoke with the Demon King like rehearsed, and tried my best to make a good impression. I was led around the Demon King's residence. Which was just an old castle.

I didn't even know  this thing existed. Well, how could you know? This was probably deep in the Demon King's territory, who would ever dare go here?

I was led into a dorm area. It seemed pretty empty, since no one probably lives here other than the Demon King and servants. 

The room was quite spacious, but even for this worlds timeline, seemed very old. Maybe this castle is older than I thought? But I was too tired to think. William left to speak with the Demon King earlier. 

William called the Demon King 'uncle'. How does that make sense? The Demon King should be thousands of years old, since his Demon blood and dark magic extended his life. 

She collapsed on the bed, the mattress a little too hard. I guess I don't get to enjoy myself at all while I'm here, huh.

I heard a rattle and sat up. It was William, trying to open my window. I rushed over and slid it up. huh. Interesting window design. 

William jumped into the room. "Ugh this was not an easy climb." He sighed.

"You know there is a door, right?" I looked at him like he was an idiot. Because he was.

"Do you really think the servants aren't here to spy on us, for any suspicious activity. That bastard was already bombarding me with questions that could have gotten us caught if you didn't pay attention." 

"Huh, so it seems getting close to the Demon King will not be that easy...." I sighed.

"Of course not. I know him a little more than you do. That man is extremely cautions."

"You called him uncle." I said, remembering this morning.

"He is, kind of." William said. "That old coot we met up at the church, his name is Krotis. He's my grandfather, and also somehow related to the Demon King. Anyway, Krotis and The Demon King don't really like each other, but I have met him a lot when I was younger." William explained with a sad expression.

I didn't need to ask more, I knew how William became a dark magic user. It doesn't really come as a surprise that the Demon King would force a child to do that kind of ritual. 

"Anyway. You better prepare yourself. He's gonna throw a whole lot of tests at you, and you will need to pass them perfectly before he even tells you what he has for breakfast. It's going to be hell."

And hell it was.

In the first week that the Demon King took me in, I had to follow him around and do his every little favor. I was getting really pissed, but then calmed down once I remembered that I'm basically being held hostage.

After a while, he started giving me little insights to what he was planning. Of course I immediately delivered this information to William. Me and him had to pretend to not get along at all, to make it seem like we didn't interact. 

I was surprised to find out The Demon King distrusted William more than me. William explained that it's because he's actively been messing with his plans for ages. He said this could actually be good for us, since he could pretend he was trying to mess up the Demon Kings plans to get a new subordinate. 

After a few weeks, the Demon King asked me to use my light magic for the first time. I was suspicious, but then realized that he was using it as a reward for his soldiers. He had been mobilizing them more often and in larger quantities recently. I gave this information to William. 

I payed attention to every little detail the Demon King did. Any slip of the tongue could be a clue that could help my brother fight. 

I was not going to mess this up, not this time.