Chapter 36

•Giovanni•

In theory Nolani sitting on my lap during the meeting with the Capo's seemed like a good idea, in reality I have to restrain myself from touching her the way I want. She just had to wear a suit and that hot as sin red top with her breasts threatening to spill over the lace during each breath she takes. She smells good enough to eat and it makes images of the last time I had her naked filling my head. I know for a fact that she tastes as good as she looks and I crave having her on my tongue again. She shifts and I bite the inside of my cheek, my hold I have on her waist tightening. She glances at me out of the corner of her eye but doesn't look over.

Something shifted in her after Rafe's passing, even more so than I expected. She's usually withdrawn unless she's holding Rome which is one of the reasons why I agreed to let her come to the meeting. I could tell she was surprised when I shot Giuseppe but she didn't seem scared, unlike when Riot removed his knife from the Russians side in my living room which resulted in her having a panic attack. I have to remind myself she did kill two of Mikhails men and ending someone's life changes you in itself, she's strong as hell after all that's she's been through in such a short time.

Finally I end the meeting once our discussions done. I give Nolani's thigh a tap and she rises from my lap. I stand with her, my hand resting low on her back.

"Luca tell Tommaso congratulations on the promotion and call the cleanup crew." I say, motioning toward Giuseppe's body.

"Are you not coming back with us?" Nico asks, his brow furrowing.

"I'm going to take Nolani to the basement, send Matteo after us in an hour." I reply.

Nolani frowns. "The basement? Why do we need to go to the basement?"

Riot shakes his head, his jaw clenching. He's not happy with me for allowing Nolani to come to the meeting but he would never question me in front of the others, I can only imagine what he thinks of me showing her the basement.

I don't answer Nolani's question, instead I guide her out of the room and back into the dark. After years of coming here you quickly learn where everything is without the need for a light. The police don't come out this way often but when they do I don't want them to see lights on in a warehouse that's supposedly unused and decide to search the premises. This is one of many building we use to receive drugs. We have delivery trucks that blend in like your average company to not raise suspicion. My guys unload the trucks and the dealers come for pick up at specified times, leaving with boxes of cereal or bottles of laundry detergent with the illegal substance hidden within the package.

I walk back the way we came and turn toward the opposite side of the room.

"Are we lost?" Nolani whispers.

"No." I reply simply.

A moment later I stop at the door, gripping the knob. "Hold onto me, we're going downstairs."

I feel her freeze, her hand trembling in mine. "So it's an actual basement?" She asks breathlessly.

I release my grip on her hand and trail my fingertips up her arm until I find her shoulder and gently pull her into my chest, wrapping my arms around her.

"It's not like that basement, I promise." I murmur. "You're safe with me, micetta."

I hadn't even thought about the possibility of her being afraid of basements after Alexei locked her in a room in one.

She goes quiet for a moment and then I hear her take a deep breath. "Okay."

I grab her hand and guide her down the stairs slowly so she doesn't trip. We stop at the door at the landing and as soon as I open it we're hit with the pulsating thrum of the deep bass playing through the speakers. Purple lights illuminate the room, groups of people gyrating on the dance floor to the edgy song. Girls dance in cages suspended from the ceiling, their half naked bodies rolling to the beat. My eyes flick over to Nolani who's gaping at the sight in front of her as she scans the room.