24

A groan escaped his lips as he leaned back on his bed's headboard. His small hands were still shaking as an after effect from the dry heaving he just went through. 'Yet again, awakened by nightmares,' he bitterly thought.

Deciding that he wouldn't be getting anymore sleep, Adrastos slipped off his bed and out the room, wandering aimlessly down the halls of Garnet Palace. Surprisingly, their father had made no move or expectations for either twins to go back to their palace immediately— if anything, the man's face soured when Felix had reminded him about the twins' own palace.

Blinking, he found himself before familiar doors. The same doors that held his sister and Father. Originally, his sister resided with him from the room he had just left, but seeing as how she fell asleep during her nap and hasn't awaken from it, the Emperor decided to let her sleep in his own room.

After a moment of hesitation, Adrastos quietly opened the door, peering within the darkened room only illuminated by the moon's light, his eyes sought for either his father or sister. Seeing neither of his family members, the boy slipped inside and quietly closed the door. Trudging to the bed (and crawling at the seat beside said bed), he wasn't surprised to see his sister comfortably sleeping, a small smile on her angelic face.

"Noona," he quietly murmured, "I couldn't sleep again"

His fingers brushed the crown of her hair.

"Why are you still awake?"

Jumping in surprise, he felt himself losing his balance. Preparing himself for the impact with the ground, his eyes fluttered shut— of course, his muddled brain forgot the usage of mana to prevent his fall. But the pain never met his brain, as warm arms lifted him, preventing his fall.

Adrastos met jewel blue eyes that wasn't his.

"Papa?" he questioned, "you were here? I didn't see you"

The man didn't answer, instead, he sat on the bed with the prince on his lap.

Adrastos was surprised, and after remembering the embarrassing situation of nearly falling off the chair, his cheeks flushed. Feeling a poke on said cheeks, his widened eyes met his father who hasn't removed his finger from his right cheek.

"Did you had a nightmare?"

He flinched, said nothing. His head turned downwards, and only did he realize that his fists had clenched on the Emperor's clothes. Instead of unfastening his fists, he kept it there, allowing his fingers felt the soft tunic that his father wore.

Both father and son heard the rustling of fabric. Discerning that he must have aroused his sister from her slumber, guilt ate at him. But before he could say anything, the man had already started speaking.

"It's still early, get some more rest." Adrastos was carried once more, before he found himself (surprisingly) being tucked in beside his sister who had immediately grasped his hand. "I'll stay here until you're both asleep."

The prince's breath hitch as he met the man's gaze, and without looking at his sister, he could tell she was as surprised and confused as he was. Their father's eyes was turned to them, the usual coldness lesser, and eyes filled clouded with thoughts. His sister moved, pulling the blankets higher for them both.

Adrastos' blonde lashes fluttered shut, somehow, hearing the beautiful humming of a fairy within his dreams.

-♕24♕-

"I thought I wouldn't care if either of them died or disappeared at some point"

It was true, Claude honestly thought that the two children that helplessly slumbered on his bed meant nothing. He was always waiting for the chance, while bearing hatred within his heart.

I have to kill them. I have to kill them today. 

Thoughts that relentlessly burdened his mind daily. Thoughts that plagues him. And yet "today" passes, and another day, until months and years had passed. 

His slender fingers ran through his golden hair. Golden hair that he shared with the boy. Jewel blue eyes that he shared with them both. Felix had also said that the girl displayed actions that were his

"That blasted wench." He hissed under his breath, gritting his teeth. 'If you were going to die, you should just be done with it. Yet you left not one, but two things that are reminiscent of you. Splitting images of you.'

"Good morning Daddy!"

"...Papa... Can I call you Papa?"

His fists clenched tightly, ignoring the stinging sensation and the crescent shape wounds formed within his palms. The pain was nothing compared to what he had been through—

'I was almost done forgetting you'

Memories. Memories of her that he was forced to remember during that incident a year and a half ago— a boy who had fallen off the boat and nearly drowned, a crying girl begging for him to be saved.

The same day where he returned to his office, crashing everything in his sight like a madman, trapped in a mountain of memories that he had erased once within his mind. And yet—

"As you loved me, please cherish our child, the one I'm leaving behind. That's my only wish"

'I'll kill her. I'll kill him. I should have killed them the moment I found out'

The source of her demise. He can never be rid of this hatred until the day he dies. 

'Every time I see her face. Every time I see his face. I burn with a thirst to kill.' 

'But still I want to keep you in my sight a little longer

'But still I want to keep you in my sight a little longer.'

His hand reached for the twins who had curled up against each other, unaware of their father whose eyes bore a whirlpool of emotions.

'No. I want to kill you both right this instance.'

Hand retracting, his bit on his lower lip, ignoring the blood that seeped out, repressing the agony of pain echoing within his head.

'Still.' There was an uncomfortable tightening sensation within his chest. 'Still, just a little while more...'

His gaze shifted to the two children, asleep.

"Athanasia... Adrastos..."

His hand gripped his head as the pain became unbearable once more. 'Ah. Everything is too much.'

"I hate you."

The words felt empty.

"I hate both of you..."

He felt empty.

"I—"

His fingers brushed through platinum blonde hair and golden strands. His jewel blue eyes watched as the girl furrowed her brows, before a smile formed on her lips, and the boy released a small huff of air, shifting closer to his sister.

Tried to keep Claude's persoective as realistic as possible. Honestly, if you've read the side story novel of Claude's perspective, it really shows that Claude didn't hate Athy as much as Athy thought. Anyways, hope you enjoyed this chapter and the next :)