Chapter Forty-Eight

"I've got a surprise for you." Hollee said excitedly in the doorway. her hands were hidden  behind her back but that still didnt manage to hide the large bag from me.
I lent up against the door. "If it's a dress, I don't want it."
Hollee smiled widely. "Who said you had a choice?"
Typical Hollee response. I stepped back and held the front door open wider.
"Cheers." Hollee said walking past me.
I closed the door and sighed. "Lets get this over with."
"I dont understand why you hate dresses so much." Hollee commented.
"Have you seen the dresses you try and force me into?" I asked.
"Obviously. I pick them out. And I wouldnt call it forcing -I dont have to pin you down and pull it on, you do it well enough on your own."
“Doesn’t mean I’m happy about it.” I said.
Hollee gave me a look. “Trust me, Lils, I know. You don’t stop whining.”
“I do not whine.” I said sternly.
Hollee went silent as she watched me, a disbelieving look on her face…And then she laughed. Hard and loud.
“I don’t!” I cried. “Stop laughing at me. It’s mean.”
“I-I’m sorry.” She apologized around her laughter. “It’s j-just, that’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day.”
“Sureee.” I said coldly. I do not whine!
“You’re whining right now.” She stated, walking past me into my room. “You can’t deny it.”
“Yes I can, quite easily actually.” I closed the door and turned to her. “So, are you going to show me the dress or what?”
Hollee, pulled the bag and laid it down on my bed. She moved to the front and slowly pulled down the zip revealing a short, flowy, red dress.
“Oooh.” I marvelled, walking over to stand beside her. I reached out a hand and ran it down the front of the dress carefully. “Okay, I’ll give it to you- this is cute.” I said.
She turned to me, a look of shock on her face. “Who are you and where’s my best friend?”
“She’d decided to let you have your fun and enjoy it.” I said.
She looked at me suspiciously. “Why?” She asked slowly.
I shrugged. “Why not?”
“You hate bring dressed up, why are you letting me now? Without complaint?”
“Thought I should try something new.” I said with a smile.
“This is new, alright.”
“Lillie!” Elena’s voice shouted through the house. I felt my face fall as I tried to come up with something that I had done to piss her off today.
“You’re in trouble.” Hollee teased.
I glared at her. “What, Elena?!” I shouted back.
Elena came barging into my room, her eyes narrowed as she glared at me. “I can’t believe you!”
I frowned. “What?”
“Ugh! I’m disgusted!” Her face scrunched.
I was confused. What is she talking about?
"Jenna refused to let me say anything,  but I just- just can't keep it in anymore! Do you know how shocking and disturbing coming home from the hospital was to find you- " She broke off and shook her head in utter disgust. Whether it's at me or the situation I wouldn't know right now.
My eyes widened and I could feel my cheeks reddening as understanding washed over me.
“How could you –With him?” Elena’s face showed nothing but disgust.
“What are you talking about?” Hollee asked curiously.
Elena turned to her and pointed to me. “Her taste in men…I have no words.”
Hollee nodded. “If it’s Damon you’re talking about, trust me. I know.”
I just stood there looked back and forth between the two. Do they know I’m standing right here?
“My taste in men is fine.” I said.
Elena looked at me and shook her head. “I’m scarred for life now. I’m never going to be able to forget it.”
“You didn't see anything and you weren't even here.” I said defensively and I gave her a pointed look. “It's your fault for not telling me you were on your way home anyway.”
"I did. But got no reply. I assumed you were still sleeping." She said.  “Anyway, Ric and Jenna were wondering if you were coming down for diner?”
“Jenna cooking?” I asked.
Elena shook her head. “No, Ric’s babying her. She’s not aloud off of the sofa in case she rips her stitches.”
“Can Ric even cook?”
She shrugged. “That’s why I’m supervising.”
“Tell them I’m busy and not to worry about it.” I gestured over to the dress on the bed.
Elena looked at me surprised and then to Hollee. “You’re getting her to go to the masquerade party?”
Hollee smiled almost proudly. “Yes. And no threatening was involved.”
"Har har har, you guys are hilarious.” I said sourly. “If you keep teasing me about it, I won’t go, it won’t bother me at all.”
“Okay, we’ll keep our mouths shut.” Hollee said and Elena agreed with her.
“We’ll see how long that last for.” I said with a smile.
Elena started backing away, out the room. “Have fun.” She said.
“Yeah, yeah.” I muttered.
Elena closed the door behind her and immediately Hollee turned to me. “Elena wasn’t talking about what I thought she was, right?”
I paused. “Depends.” I said slowly. “What did you think she was talking about?”
She gave a stern look. “You know what I’m on about.”
I sighed and looked at her. “Yes.” I admitted.
“You and Damon?” She asked in disbelief. “I mean, you slept with Damon?”
"Maybe a little."
"Damon?! Really? Why couldn't it have been someone else -anyone would have been better. Why not Stefan?"
Did she seriously just say that? Stefan? Where the hell did she even get that idea?
"Stefan and my sister have only been apart a couple of days ago. Why the hell would I sleep with Stefan?"
Hollee laughed. "Your sister and Stefan would have never worked anyway. They're too," She paused. "Friendly with one another. I've seen them together a couple of times whilst i've been here and I didn't see anything remotely romantic."
"I'm sure that's not true. I thought they were cute."
"So, you don't see Stefan that way?"
"No." I answered. "Can we not be talking about Stefan right now. It's weird."
"So is you sleeping with Damon."
I sighed. "Okay, I get that you don't like him and trust me you're far from the only one, but I like him." I smiled. "And he lo-likes me too."
Hollee actually looked confused. "But it's Damon..."
"Who has a very nice body."
Hollee twisted up her nose and purposely avoided the bed as she slumpbed into the arm chair opposite. "I believe that. Unfortunatly. So considering you haven't been jumping around to spill the beans, i'm guessing there's nothing wrong with him?"
I grinned. "No. Not one thing."
"Shame. I could have had some fun with that." She shook her head. "Anyway, I'm going to regret asking this but -How was it?"
"Amazing." I breathed. "Perfect."
"I wouldn't say either of those words should be used to describe Damon but I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Was it a one time thing?"
That questions actually got to me. Was it?  Was that just a one time thing between Damon and I?
"I hope not." I answered truthfully.
He said he loved me. But was Damon telling the truth, or was I stupid and naive. I mean why would he. I'm surprised that he wasn't or hasn't used that line on Elena, That would make more sense, considering she looks like a replica of his ex lover. Maybe it was ploy to get closer to her. Was I just a puzzle piece?
Suddenly the thought of Damon made me feel sick and all negative thoughts swirled together.
"Are you alright?" Hollee asked, leaning forward in her chair.
I forced a smile. "Yeah." I decided I needed a change in subject. "So what time does the maqurade thingy start?"
Hollee watched me for a moment longer. "7. But, i promised I'd help set up a little before hand."
"Okay." I said. "Let me rephraze that. How long until we have to leave?"
"That depends. Do you want to get ready here, or at the lockwoods?"
I glanced at the dress and knew that if I walked downstairs in it, I'd never be able to leave the house. Not that i'm thrilled about wearing this dress in public anyway, but it'll please Hollee if anything.
"Lockwoods."

I had to give Hollee props. She knew me. I hate dresses but if I had to wear them they had to be my kind of dress and this was definitly one of them. The front was gorgeous. The dress a beautiful deep red colour. It had long sleeves and a very high neckline, the skirt falling to mid-thigh but flared out at the waist. But it was the back I adored most. Or lack of should I say.
"So, how do I look?" I asked, stepping out of the bathroom.
Hollee surveyed me, her eyes scaning the dress carefully. "Like a girl." She finally said.
I laughed dryly. "I've always looked like a girl."
"That's debatable." She joked, but nodded her head with a pleased smile. "You look great."
I patted down the skirt. "Thank you. The bathroom's all yours now. Are you sure that I can't see your dress yet?"
Hollee picked up a large black bag and walked pasted me. "Positive." And she shut the door.

I sat on the bed waiting patiently for Hollee to get changed, listening to the clatter of porsoline and the loud chatter of everyone working downstairs and Carol shouting demands at people.
I wonder where Tyler was. He was never one to help out at these things, he didn't even like them going on and the only way for him to ever get out of them were for him to literally like dissappear.
The bathroom door clicked open a slither. "You ready?" Hollee asked, poking her head around.
"Yeah just hurry up and get out here before I pull you out."
The door swung the rest of the way open and my jaw dropped. Hollee looked magnificent. Her dress was black and elegantly fell to the floor, pooling around her feet. It clung to her as it should and looked amazing. The back was simple and delicate as it exposed most of her skin.
"Wow." I said. "What ever is that? Like the queen of dresses of something? Is that really something to wear to this kinda thing?"
Hollee glided across the room to a box in the corner. "I'd wear something like this all the time if it were accepted."
"I don't doubt that."
"Shush," Hollee said, something held behind her back. "There are for you to wear tonight."
I narrowed my eyes. "What is it?" I asked slowly.
She pulled a pair of very very high heels from behind her.
"No! No way. You're not getting my feet into those."

An hour later my feet were killing me, the shoes where literally a pain as I finished placing the last decoration up. Hollee took my comment before about the shoes as a challenge one she obviously succeeded in. I'm not impressed. I can't wait to get these fucking things off of me.
But that would have to wait until later as the guest started to arrive.

It didn't take long before the place was filled withpeople mingling. I'd lost Hollee a while ago when Carol sent us on our own seperate tasks. and trying to locate her now would not be of much use. Instead I was going to make the most of this event and that meant, stuffing my face with food and dancing.
I grabbed my mask off of the table and slipped it carefully onto my face. When it was on perfectly, I took a deep breath and exited the house to where the real party was.