Chapter 23. Amends

Merry Christmas everyone! Wanted to upload this chapter as a late gift, enjoy! ^^

"What is the meaning of this nonsense, Lord Nathaniel?" Said the Duke as the Lord had finally entered the room after a long wait.

Lord Nathaniel was holding a glass of blood, his grip on it tightening almost to the point of shattering as he tried his best to restrain himself. The door closed behind him, a few of his guards standing to the side as he continued walking until he eventually stopped in front of the fireplace.

The Herriot family were all gathered in a discreet room in the castle, where the Lord had just arrived to find an irritated Duke. He was stood with his arms crossed, his wrinkles prominent from his furrowed brows and downturned lips and he wore a long dark leather coat with matching boots. The Duchess was stood next to him, wearing a formal gown along with her daughter. They weren't told why they were brought here, nor were they given a choice but he was the Lord and they had to obey his orders.

"Perhaps you should ask your daughter." He seethed with narrowed eyes, watching the fire dance in the hearth.

When Lord Nathaniel spoke, both the Duke and Duchess turned their heads to their daughter, Lady Sophia, who in return looked back at them with the same clueless expression. At long last, she turned to face his icy gaze.

"I'm afraid I don't understand what you're talking about, Nathan." She explained calmly.

"Bullshit. Don't lie to me." He snapped.

She flinched at the tone of his voice but kept her face relaxed. He studied her with a hard stare, maybe she could fool everyone else in the room but to him her lies were transparent. Perhaps she was so used to lying and deceiving those around her that even she couldn't distinguish the truth.

"Lord Nathaniel just tell us what it is you want." Duke Herriot interrupted as he spoke in an irritated tone.

Nathaniel turned his intense gaze to the Duke, sensing his growing fear as he faced him.

"Your daughter came into my castle while I was away in a trip, without an invitation."

"Is that all?" He asked brusquely.

"No, it's not." Nathaniel placed his glass on a table then took a step forward. "She ordered my guards to imprison one of my guests, not to mention also knocking out Alistair unconscious."

He emphasised the word "my". He didn't like others messing with what belonged to him. Not only did Lady Sophia harm Olivia but his butler was harmed too, and because of her he also lost two of his most trusted and valuable guards. He thought she was smarter than she looked, but only a fool could believe they could get away with such actions and face no repercussions.

The Duke contemplated for a second as he processed his words, unsure of who he was referring to that was so important. He was puzzled at first, but once he connected the dots and realised who this was about his confusion changed into anger.

"That human girl?" He drawled.

He had heard the rumours that circulated among the nobles about him and a human girl that resided in the castle. He brushed them off as what they were, rumours, but when he mentioned her Lord Nathaniel's expression only hardened which said everything he needed to know. Needless to say, he was absolutely repulsed by the idea.

"You've brought us all the way here for some human girl?"

He no longer had the patience for this and his tone was growing more hostile. It irked the Duke that he had been brought all this way for some human pet of his. He couldn't understand why anyone, especially a Lord would care at all for a peasant. It was beyond odd, humans were inferior and it was offensive that he held her at such high importance especially over his daughter.