2

Even the relative cool of the mud brick house the mortal lived in didn't help. Hiro's blood heated as those beautiful brown eyes glared at him with the strength of a thousand suns. Up close, the man's face was even more striking—be it his flawless brown skin, the absolute darkness of his brows and lashes, or the defined lines of his jaw.

"I don't need your help," Rama said, eyes narrowing.

Hiro smiled most amiably. "You're getting it anyway. That's my shipment, paid for in full."

"I will ensure its safe delivery," the man said with a wave of his hand.

"By yourself?"

Rama straightened his broad shoulders. "Are you doubting my skill?"

"I'm doubting your sanity if you think you can take on a group of thieves on your own, no matter how well trained you are." Hiro tried not to let his eyes wander over the broad chest and cut stomach muscles on full display. "Let's make a deal. If I beat you in a fight, you take me along."

Rama studied him, the hint of a smile touching his full lips. "So sure of yourself that you think you can beat the best-trained warrior this city has ever seen?"

Hiro grinned at him. He could hardly tell the man that he'd been training with the most powerful demon to walk this earth for most of the three hundred years of his existence. "I'll fight you unarmed."

"No," the man said. "You fight me fair and square, weapons and whatever armor you usually wear."

Hiro tugged on his indigo kurta. "I rarely wear armor," he said. "And a dagger will do." Even without turning demon or his hellfire powers, he could beat the human with one hand tied behind his back. The man didn't know what he was getting into.

"On the roof," Rama said with a curt nod toward the open door.

They ascended the brick stairs to the flat roof and each took a side. Under the glare of the afternoon sun, Hiro pulled the kurta over his head. The slight wisp of wind along his damp skin felt like a heavenly caress.

The cool reprieve didn't last long. When Rama's eyes traveled the length of his body, Hiro felt overheated all over again. What was it with this man?

The warrior unsheathed his bronze sword with a smile. "You'd better surrender, stranger."

Hiro smiled. "By the end of this fight, you'll know my name, Rama, son of Daysu. I promise you'll never forget again."

As they circled each other, he tried to keep his eyes on the man's sword instead of the beauty on display. Maybe that's why the warrior walked around bare-chested—it was a prime distraction for anyone he fought wi—

Hiro barely evaded the first strike and darted back. Focus, damn it.

"Surely you can do better than that, oh mighty warrior." He kept a careful eye on the man's blade while he taunted. He had a feeling...

This time he caught the way Rama's thighs tensed before he lunged forward. Three hundred years of reflexes ensured he evaded the bronze short sword with ease.

Rama didn't give him a reprieve. He drove Hiro back with a series of high strikes and hacks. Short, powerful blows he could only block.

Hiro ducked and punched the man on his ribs with the hilt of his dagger. Rama flinched to the side. Hiro followed.

After the next high strike, he dove under Rama's arm and came up behind. His dagger sliced the thinnest red line along the man's tanned back.

Just to make a point.

Rama swirled around. The blade cut the air right by Hiro's face.

He pulled back but couldn't evade the next slash of Rama's sword. It sliced the skin of his upper arm.

The man's speed did give credit to his bold claim earlier.

Hiro grinned and let go of any restraint he'd granted the human. Rama closed in again, seeking an opening. Hiro kicked the man on the knee and followed with a blow to the chest.

He pounced as soon as Rama lost his balance, slammed him to the ground, and straddled him. Pinning both his wrists, he smiled down at the glaring warrior. "Surrender."

Rama bucked, trying to dislodge him, but Hiro didn't plan to let go.

When the warrior kept fighting his hold in grim silence, Hiro leaned forward. Close enough to feel Rama's heaving breath hit his lips like the ghost of the kiss he wanted to claim.

"Call me Hiro. So much easier when we travel together."

Rama ceased struggling. The clenched muscles of his jaws relaxed. And the sound of his low laugh that followed woke something in Hiro's chest that he didn't dare investigate up close.