5

"Fight me"

Hiro sighed and turned away from his rooftop view on Dholavira and the lake to face Rama. "I told you no."

The sharp tip of Rama's sword pricked his abs. "And I'm not backing down any time soon."

Hiro frowned at the spot where Rama's blade rested against his skin. "Why the hell not?"

The corner of Rama's mouth lifted, and Hiro found his attention shifting to the inherent beauty of the man's amusement. "I will have you surrender, one way or another."

Before he could utter another word, Hiro shoved his dagger against the man's sword, forcing it up before punching him on the wrist.

With a small grunt, Rama backed away and switched hands. "Don't worry, I'm a damn good fighter with either hand," he informed Hiro.

"Too bad nobody taught you to fight with two blades then. Or not to piss off opponents who are stronger than you." Hiro drew his sword with a grin.

As he circled the warrior, Rama's smile grew in response. He charged, faster than any human Hiro had seen. He twisted away from the blade and brought his sword down on Rama's unguarded back. The metal hovered an inch from the warrior's shoulder blades.

"Consider yourself killed," he said, sheathing his sword, trying hard not to look at Rama's heaving chest or the tiny droplets of perspiration that lit up gold in the morning sun. Instead, he turned back to the edge of the roof, to a view he hoped would distract him enough to—

"Teach me," came Rama's voice from right behind him.

Keeping his gaze trained on the glistening waters of the Great Rann lake, Hiro fought the urge to turn and drown in those rich brown eyes.

"Teach me to fight with two blades."

"Stroking y—" Fuck. He drew his hands over his eyes, fighting the images his mind was conjuring up. "Inflating your ego is not on my list of priorities."

"Might as well become a better fighter while we wait for your little spies."

Hiro couldn't help his smile. "Fate help me, you remind me of my best friend. Just as stubborn. Just as driven to prove his worth."

Just as lethal to his heart.

It had taken him a hundred years to come to terms with the fact that the demon didn't return his adoration. Longer than this human would ever live.

Hiro's fingernails dug into his palms.

He needed to keep his distance, stay as far from the mortal as he could before this ache in his chest became irreversible.

Then he made the mistake to look at Rama. He recognized the determination in the set of the man's jaw. Hiro's blood turn to molten heat, and the ache in his chest flared.

Fate be damned. He had a sinking feeling it was too late anyway.

He offered Rama his sword. The surprise in the man's eyes morphed into something that made Hiro's mouth go dry. He swallowed hard.

"Soon, Hiro of the Arav, you'll be on your knees before me," Rama whispered.

It took all Hiro's willpower not to fulfill that prophecy on the spot.