11

Hiro looked out over the port of Saran as it woke up. Rows of workers with sacks on their shoulders loaded one of the boats bobbing on the dark waters. The call of seagulls pierced the balmy air when a fishing ship came in from the lake with its coveted load. The lower city of Dholavira to the south was slower to come alive, but soon wooden carts rumbled along the paved main streets.

When Rama's arm wrapped around his waist, he leaned into the man's warmth with a smile.

"We got word from the captain," Rama said. "We're leaving as soon as the boat is loaded."

Hiro didn't move, relishing the peaceful moment a little longer. Soon they'd gather their crew to board. Soon he'd worry about everything that could go wrong.

Right now, there was just them in the rising sun.

The way Rama's hold on him tightened told him the man felt it too.

When the sun had climbed well above the horizon, Hiro was the first to break the sweet silence between them. "I need to give orders to Aparna and gather the warriors I picked."

Rama didn't let go of him. "Mhmm. I'll get my reinforcements too. We'll meet at the docks." With a whisper full of laughter he added, "Don't be late."

Demons were not meant to be on boats

Though Hiro had to admit none of the other warriors seemed to be affected like him. They were a little wobbly on their feet when the boat bobbed, but none of them were the shade of green Rama had kindly informed him he sported.

He leaned over the side again in case his stomach gave up its valiant fight.

"You know the drill," Rama said as he put a few cuts of the same yellowish, fibrous thing on his palm. "Eat."

This time he had the presence of mind to ask, "What is this?"

"A root some seaman told me about. Ginger. One of my brothers gets really sick on boats, so I always carry it with me."

Hiro glanced at the warrior with a smile. "You're a good brother."

A good man. A skilled warrior. And a lover so talented it made Hiro fervently wish they were still alone in the warehouse.

Right, mission.

As he chewed the ginger, Hiro studied the landmarks along the river. They were still hours away from the place where the last boat was attacked, but dusk was closing in on them. The lengthening shadows and the cover they provided made him antsy.

"I'll check in with my warriors. Are the mercenaries briefed about our priorities?"

"Crew's life first, getting information second, shipment last," Rama said with a smile. "They know."

Hiro made his way to the bow, holding on to whatever part of the riverboat that'd keep him upright. He scowled at the grinning warriors. At least they weren't laughing out loud.

"I'm so going to kick all of your asses once we're off this damn ship," he hissed at them.

Yasser, one of the warriors he'd grown up with, laughed at that. "Are you bringing your human? Because we both know you can't beat me by yourself."

"Won't stop me from trying," Hiro informed him, trying hard not to let his smile break through. "I'm sure I can do some damage before I go down."

The male thumped his back with a grin. "You're on. Now tell us what you waddled over for."

The other two warriors burst out laughing, and Hiro couldn't stop his grin from breaking through.

Oh, he'd get his revenge some way or another. Between his brother Ahio and his friends Mei and Arren next time they visited Dera Rawal, he'd make them pay. He might not be a warrior for demonic standards, but he sure befriended a few of the best.

In the meantime, he needed to focus on anything but his churning stomach or the way the boat moved. "Under no circumstances do we turn demon," he commanded, voice soft enough so they wouldn't be overheard. "We capture as many of the robbers as we can to find out who's behind this and stop it once and for all. And if we can save the wood, it might appease Erisi."

As the warriors murmured their agreement, Hiro looked up at the darkening sky.

And realized they were in a lot more trouble than they'd thought.