52 | Mirrored Blades

At last, the day of the banquet had finally come. In celebration of Laydel's great victory, an elaborate ball for the aristocrats had been prepared.

Everyone in the nation's sphere of power was to be there. Usually, this event would be hosted by the emperor and would take place in the palace. However, since Laydel was absent of a ruling figure, House Atlan took it upon themselves to host the event, at their own estate. After all, the palace was closed to everyone until one of the princes ascended the throne.

"Wow! Our princess is so beautiful!"

The maids sang with praise as Irene stood in wonderment in front of the mirror, golden eyes shimmering in awe at the sight of herself all dressed up for the celebrations. She was wearing a tea-length, white and rose-red dress with silver embellishments around her waist and flowing skirt.

Jewels adorned her neck and wrists, while a glistening silver tiara rested on the crown of her head. The dress was tied loosely at the small of her back with a white ribbon. Soft white strands of hair tied into a half-updo, decorated with beautiful red roses and silver hairpins, completing her look.

As she studied her reflection, a smile graced her lips. She looked absolutely adorable in this outfit chosen for her by Sarah. As expected of the duchess, she had wonderful taste in clothes.

A pair of white, silken-gloved hands touched her shoulders, gold embroidered in a delicate pattern. As she glanced up at her mother who was here to help her dress alongside the maids, Irene could see tears welling in Sarah's eyes.

"You're so gorgeous, my little flower." She smiled, leaning down to give her daughter a quick hug. Irene giggled softly.

"It's because you chose such a pretty dress!" She beamed, as the maids continued to watch them with glistening eyes. Sarah too, was dressed beautifully in a draping gown with the same colours as Irene.

The sleeves were long and flowing, embroidered with the same pattern. The neckline plunged slightly, revealing a silver corset below. Her hair was piled elegantly on her head, ornamented with red ribbons, while jewels glimmered on her white skin.

The duchess and her daughter were truly a sight to behold.

As the pair finally finished getting ready, they decided to head down toward the foyer where the men were waiting. The servants escorted them down carefully, and Irene held her mother's hand to help her down the staircase, smiling at the sight of Rudien gazing up and admiring his wife.

Rayvis and Mikael were there too, dressed elaborately in long tailcoats with silver embroidery, their hair styled and handsome faces shining like true nobles. When they noticed Irene at the foot of the stairs, Rayvis gasped at the sight of his sister.

"Rene you're adorable!" He beamed, rushing to hug her.

As he pulled her into a tight squeeze, Irene tried to squeeze out of his arms. "B-Brother! I can't breathe!"

Rudien and Sarah chuckled softly, and the duke too, was taken aback by how beautiful his daughter was. Like a little porcelain doll, she was, dressed like a little angel. Irene was growing up to be as beautiful as her mother, and seeing her beginning to blossom made Rudien feel nostalgic. As a father, he wanted to protect and cherish his daughter as long as he could.

As Irene's attention landed on Mikael, she offered him a beaming smile when noticing he had been staring for a moment. The young prince almost looked at her in disbelief — as if she were someone else entirely.

"You look great, Mikael!" She complimented him, bringing him out of his train of thoughts. But his eyes only continued to gaze at her in suspicion.