Chapter 104

After sending Hermione, Harry and Ron off to the Ministry with Polyjuice potion and a couple of other little toys to make for a quick getaway or distraction, surprisingly it had been Fred who was pacing with worry.

The ministry had gone to hell, all members who weren't purebloods kicked out or sent to Azkaban, and they were sending Hermione and Harry into that mess. Not to mention Ron who was a 'blood traitor' and not the most adept at magic.

But his worry for them all only made Leona smile.

At least before it became annoying, so to distract him from it, she'd turned on the radio to this station that played slow songs from like the '50s, and she'd pulled him to dance with her.

Not anything extravagant like at the Yule Ball, but just a small sway, punctuated with a few steps around the living room, the occasional spin from Fred because he was enamoured with the little giggle she made every time he did it.

But their fun was ruined when a bundle of people crashed on the floor, Leona's eyes widening as she recognised a smartly dressed death eater.

Corbin Yaxley.

He'd fought during the first wizarding war, according to her father, and one of his relatives married into their family, Lysandra, was the name painted onto their family tree.

And the first thing Leona did was push Fred away, her magic pulling the trio of younger wizards away from the death eater before she threw up a shield around the four of them, Fred now pulling out his wand as Leona duelled Yaxley.

"Leona Black," he laughed, voice deep and raspy. "Oh, how the Dark Lord will reward me for killing you."

"I'm not dead yet," she fired back, alongside several stunning spells, one managing to clip Yaxley and send him to the ground, Leona turning to the group as she dropped the shield, Fred running forward to her side.

"GO!" she yelled to them as Yaxley got up.

"But what about you?" Harry asked, worriedly.

"Harry, your mission is more important. Find a way to destroy the Horcrux. We'll be fine. Now GO!" she screamed before Hermione grabbed both their hands, tears streaming down her face, and Disapparated.

And Leona turned around just in time to have a stunning spell send her flying into the wall before she crashed to the floor.

And Fred grew enraged.

"That's!" he snarled, arm swinging as he cast a spell that Yaxley barely blocked.

"My!"

Another spell.

"Bloody!"

Another spell.

"Girlfriend!"

And Yaxley went flying into the wall as Fred rushed over to Leona.

"You alright?" he asked as he tugged her to her feet.

"He's not staying down," she noted, despair in her eyes because they were left with no choice now. "He's seen where we are. He knows we're helping Harry. Freddy, we have to."

Fred also looked torn before a voice said, "Crucio!" and she pushed Fred out of the way before collapsing to the ground, screams bursting from her mouth as her body spasmed in pure agony.

Fred didn't even think about it.

It was instinctual, the need to protect her.

He was still sitting on the floor as he raised his wand.

"Avada Kedavra!"

And Yaxley fell to the floor as the life drained out of him and Fred crawled over to Leona, pulling her torso into his arms, her head resting in the crook of his elbow.

"Rosalee? Rosalee, are you alright? Can you hear me?"

"So that's what Auntie Bella felt," she groaned as her eyes fluttered open. "Gotta say it looked much better on her."

Fred had to laugh at her, despite the few tears that ran down his face before he kissed her.

"So, you're alright then?" he asked as he pulled away and Leona only lifted a sore arm to cup his cheek, his face so warm.

"Thank you for saving my life, Freddy. And I'm really sorry about what you had to do."

Fred glanced over to Yaxley's dead body, his eyes staring right at them.

He took a deep breath.

"It was to save you. I'd do anything to save you."

She gave him a small smile before saying," You might have to help me up though, every inch of me hurts."

Fred didn't bother to help her stand, he just picked her up in his arms, but before he could leave the room, Leona stopped him.

"Kreacher!" she called and after a moment the house-elf appeared.

"Yes, Lady Black?" the elf asked as he surveyed the damage, but she only pointed at the body.

"Clean that up, please. I want him gone by morning. Make sure no one finds him."

Kreacher bowed his head.

"As you wish, Lady Black."

And Fred carried her up the stairs, hands still shaking slightly.