[chapter thirteen] better than revenge

'✧∘* ˚.

Aires pov...

Quickly, me and Stiles ran into the hospital in a frantic search for Melissa.

"I'll check the rooms." Stiles mumbled.

"I'll check the front desk ." I shot back before spinning on my heel and jogging down the hallway.

A small sigh feel from my lips as the ringtone of my phone pierced the air. I quickly pulled my phone from my pocket to see Allison's name flashing across the screen.

"Alli, nows a bad time-"

"Aires?" She mumbled back, bringing a hint of a frown at the sound of her nervous whisper.

"What's wrong?"

"I- I don't know. My aunt is acting strange, she keeps asking questions about you."

LIE. LIE. LIE

"What about me???"

"About your brother, she says it's just curiosity but I'm not sure."

"Well they went to highschool together, I think." I mumbled, remembering how the two were in the same grade. "Maybe she wants to hook up with him or something? I suggested playfully, though the thoughts in my head were anything but playful.

Kate was up our asses, pulling at strings in hope for a loose thread. She was trouble- and I didn't know how I was gonna deal with her.

"She also wants you to come over for dinner." Allison mumbled, sending a wave of uneasiness to crash through me. "She said something about wanting to meet my friends."

I should've gotten out of it, I should've. But I was distracted and didn't have time to come up with excuses.

"Sure." I shot back, immediately regretting the word as it left my lips. "Look- i've got to go Alli." I muttered before hanging up the phone and sliding it back into my pocket.

But as I looked up from my phone, a small frown tugged on the my face. Empty. The reception of the hospital was empty.

"Myst." I whispered as Stiles jogged around the corner towards me, his confusion mirroring mine. "Stay quiet and stay behind me."

An eerie silence swam in the air as we slowed our steps. Nothing. There was nothing. No people, no noise, absolutely nothing.

Melissa was definitely not the one to send the email. Someone had to have snuck onto her computer, someone who had to have been in the hospital, someone who had to have studied Melissa and when she would go on her breaks. Somebody who had become familiar with the way the hospital functioned.

Pulling my hands out from my sides, I prepared herself for an attack. If it came down to it, I would rip the necklace off. If I had to fight, I would fight.

Over my dead body would anyone harm Stiles.

"Ree Ree." The boy whispered with wide eyes as he tugged on my arm.

"What?"

"The room is empty."

"Okay?"

I couldn't understand why panic swam in Stiles eyes, why he was at a sudden lost for words as he frantically pointed at the empty bed. I couldn't understand why he was being strange until it dawned on me he knew something I didn't.

"Who's room is this, Stiles?"

We were in the burn icu unit, the unit which looked after long term victims- victims that were in comas. It was the unit Melissa always worked in. It was a detail so simple it had slipped my mind.