CHAPTER 19

The following day, stepping out of my room, I find Nate standing in front of my door.

"Nate," I say, a little surprised to see him.

"Come with me," he says and walks down the stairs.

I follow him to the living room, and he doesn't speak until I sit down.

"I've realized that finding your Mom by yourself is important to you. I've decided to let you continue with your search on one condition," he says, and for the first time since I met my mate, I smile at him.

"What's your condition?"

"I must come with you."

"You want to come with me? Why?" I ask, surprised.

"It's the only way I can ensure your safety and once we've found her I can make sure you return with me."

This is what the girls and I were talking about yesterday. He's so possessive over me, but he doesn't show any other emotion toward me.

"Agreed," I agree because I won't have to worry about him stopping me.

"Good. We leave tomorrow," he says, standing to leave.

"Thank you."

"I didn't have a choice," he grinds out and walks away.

***

The next day, I wake early to get ready. I walk downstairs after freshening up. Nate collects my bag from me when I reach the last step. I walk outside to the car so we can get going. I see Ana, Chloe, Liam, and Dan waiting for us by the car.

"I can't believe you're leaving again. I'm going to miss you," Chloe says, pulling me into a hug.

"Me too, but I'm happy you're leaving with the King's permission this time," Ana says, joining in our hug.

"I'm going to miss you too. I'm relieved he's allowing me to go this time. It's better this way," I agree with them.

"I hope you find your Mom soon," Chloe says, releasing me from our hug.

"Me too. I'll stay in touch," I say, entering the car.

"Bye," they say, waving at me as Nate drives away. He got in before me after speaking to Dan and Liam. I'm sure he was telling them how to handle things while he's away. Dan and Liam are going to be in charge until he comes back.

***

"Thank you again for helping me find my Mom," I say to him while he's driving.

"Like I said last night, I don't have a choice."

"All the same, thank you. Where are we going?"

"Back to the cabin."

"Why there?" He must be talking about the cabin where I was staying with Scarlett's trackers.

"A human claims to have seen your Mom entering vampire territory that isn't far from the cabin."

"Lucas was telling the truth then." I don't know how to feel right now. I'm relieved to have a direction in which to look, but it's in vampire territory. Her chances of being alive are slim.

"Who is that?" he demands.

"The boy you almost killed when you came for me. Are we going to go in? Won't that be dangerous?" I'm surprised he's willing to consider it. Nate might not be so horrible if he's agreeing to risk his life. Maybe he isn't as bad a person. I'll consider that he may not hate me.

"It is dangerous. That's why we will be prepared and not go in foolishly like you almost did."

"What are you talking about?" I ask, my cheeks turning pink.