Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter 22.

Once as I reached home, the kids started bombarding me with questions.

"Why did we leave Momma?"

"Why is Daddy not with us?"

"Where's Daddy?"

Taking in a deep breath I instructed, "Take a seat."

They both sat next to each other on the couch opposite the one that I was sitting on. I wasn't about to tell them everything from the start- so why I first ran away from here- because even though they were extremely mature for their age, I don't think they were old enough to understand everything. They didn't even know about mates or much about werewolves, so I didn't think they would be able to understand much. But I have never lied to my children, and I wasn't about to start now.

"Your Daddy and I had an argument, so I left," I stated, looking directly at them.

Their faces turned into similar frowns and after a few moments of their little brain processing it, Charis finally asked, "Why?"

"Because this isn't our home. Our home is back in New York, and your Daddy wanted all of us to stay here," I explained.

"We're leaving Daddy?" Charis looked so heartbroken, with tears in her eyes and her lips quivering.

I slowly nodded with a sad smile on my face.

"We don't want to leave Daddy," Kaden finally said, speaking for the first time.

"We want Mommy and Daddy to be together," Charis said, "We want Mommy and Daddy."

"I'm sorry baby, but we can't have that," I whispered.

"But why?!" Kaden screamed, standing up abruptly.

"Calm down baby," I said, walking over to him.

"But we want to live with you and Daddy!" he shouted once again. "I don't want to choose. I want Momma and Daddy together!"

"Okay, shhh, baby," I said, placing him on my lap and smoothing his brown hair. My heart was breaking seeing him like this, and it made me wonder whether me moving back to New York was really worth this.

Was my job really worth my the happiness of my children? No, no, it wasn't. I'd give everything up for them and be unhappy, even if it meant that they were happy. If it meant that they stayed happy for the rest of their lives, then I'd happily hand them over my life.

Kaden had fallen asleep on my lap, whispering that he wanted his daddy and momma to say together, and Charis on him. It had been a long day for them, so they were both exhausted. After placing them both on Kaden's bed, I made my way to the couch again, closing my eyes and resting my head in my hands.

My job was important to me because it meant that I was making a difference out there for others, but my kids were definitely my top priority. Always had been and always will be.

The doorbell rang, interrupting me from my train of thoughts. Hoping that it was Chase, I quickly ran to the door and pulled it open. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped.

"Alex!" I screamed, hugging him and wrapping my legs around him.

I missed Alex because he was definitely my best friend and like my brother. He's like my rock, and without him, I knew I would be a mess right now. And he couldn't have come at a better time.

"I missed you!"

"Ouch! My ears!" he chuckled.

"Sorry, come in," I said, walking through the door, with him following me.